Opening OLD MacLux Plots with LXBeams

This forum is for discussion of older lighting software including MacLux Pro
Ed

Opening OLD MacLux Plots with LXBeams

Post by Ed »

The time may have past for this to be possible, but I have the occasion to revisit a plot from 2010 - created in MacLux, which no longer supported by Mac OS Sierra (10.12.6). I've tried adding LXX and LXPLOT as extensions but have had no luck. Suggestions?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately, just adding an extension won't work. MacLux pro files are binary files created using the original Mac operating system. MacLux Pro 2.2 included an export function that allowed you to save a LXSeries compatible XML file. Some parts of the MacLux Pro file, such as imported PICTs were stored in the resource fork and are not able to be included in the export.

If you have an old computer in the attic that runs OS X 10.6 or earlier, you can possibly download a copy of MacLux Pro and export your old file. (MacLux Pro is available for free because it now longer runs on current Mac systems)

Files that used the resource fork of the original Mac OS don't travel well on modern file systems. Depending on how it has traveled, an old MacLux Pro file might have additional problems opening even on a system that can run MacLux Pro.

None of the machines I currently use will run MacLux Pro. But, if you can't find an old Mac to run MacLux Pro to convert your file, you could e-mail it. I can dig an old Mac out of storage and see if it boots and see if MacLux Pro will open and export a copy.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks.

I'll see what's under the dust.