Opening older files

This forum is for discussion of older lighting software including MacLux Pro
lanternz

Opening older files

Post by lanternz »

I have some old shows on file - some from as far back as 1994. These files were exported from an old version of Maclux and I have them stored as .lxx files. All of them had defaulted to open with "Equation Editor"? However I am able to open them with LxBeams and save them again and now they are .lxxplot files. However some of them were not able to be opened and a message about not being able to parse a special character appeared. I recognized that the special character was something to do with a special key for a standard symbol. Is there any way to open these files? I still have on an old PowerBook a copy of Maclux 2.2 - will I have to take them back through this again and edit out the special character? Thanks.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you e-mail one of the problem files? It is possible that it is a simple encoding problem that can be fixed from LXBeams.

Early on by LXSeries software, the .lxx file extension was used. However, after a few years around OS X 10.6, Apple took that extension for another purpose. At that point, the LX extension was changed to .lxxplot. The files remained the same, just the extension changed. LXSeries software should still recognize the .lxx extension if asked to open a file. as there's no difference in the content. You can safely change the extension to get a file to open in the desired application by double-clicking.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

After further investigation, it may be that this problem is due to MacLux Pro failing to properly escape an ampersand character. The latest build of LXBeams 3.6.3 has an improved xml parser that will ignore improper escape sequences and treat them as a string. This new version may be able to open your problem file.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

Yes that worked. Thanks for the rapid response, my old shows are safe once more. If anyone out there needs a 21 year old plot for West Side Story I'll put it on e-bay!
Lanternz