Moving lights

LXConsole support and feedback
Johan Söderberg

Moving lights

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Next week I´ll be designing a small show and we will use, among other things, six Martin Mac250 Kryptons. Each of them occupying 14 DMX channels.

So I wonder: do you have any hints or tips concerning programming fixtures like these in LXConsole?
:)
Johan Söderberg

about devices.

I found a tutorial for step 1...
http://lx.claudeheintzdesign.com/dev_info/index.html
has a tutorial for device info. :o

And I downloaded the moving lights plot which explained a few things.
Now I guess I ought to become a better friend with the symbol and key editor and start making new symbols; with new devices.
However time is of the essence so that´ll have to be for another project.

But exporting your sample plot to LXConsole worked great, the device info came along just fine!
Testing channel 92 from your sampleplot (colour/gobo in the mac2000) I was hoping for some info about its defined values to pop up somewhere but I couldn´t find them.
So I wonder: - can they be found anywhere?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole is not designed as a moving light console. There's not a lot of features geared specifically for automated devices.

However, LXConsole 1.2.6 does have support for defined values such as those found in LXFree's device info. Defined values are useful when specific dmx levels have discrete results such as selecting colors in a scroll.

In LXConsole 1.2.6, you can popup a menu of defined values and use that to enter the appropriate dmx level for selected channels via a control or right click on the channel number. The defined values can be imported from tab delimited or csv text files. LXFree's device info window allows exporting of a defined values table in these formats. (improved in 1.5.17).

LXBeams latest release 1.0.17 also includes support for including device info values when sending channel information to LXConsole by script. This only works with the latest builds using the new "replace LXConsole channel info" script.
Johan Söderberg

Finished

The new functions all sound great.

One will be able to draw the desired position in LXBeams and from there send it into LXConsole, that´s just wonderful!
And with a popup window in LX console showing the parameters the programming of moving lights will be greatly simplified.

A few days ago these functions weren´t available so what I did was simply straightforward programming each DMX-value as in the good old days...

I figured out one useful tip that I can share here:
The fact that LXConsoles main window can be scaled prooved to be useful.
My moving heads used 17 DMXchannels and when I made the length of the rows 17 channels long all my moving lights lined up nicely so that I got all parameters in all of them in a straight vertical line. That made it easy to choose for instance colour in all of them - I just drew a straight line through my channel list and changed them all.
This was so graphically helpful that next time I´ll see to that I´ll patch my movingheads to whatever values needed to be able to do this also with various movingheads and other periphernalia.