OS X High Sierra

LXConsole support and feedback
manjarco

OS X High Sierra

Post by manjarco »

Hey everyone,

its that time of the year I start wondering if LXConsole is ready for the new OS, namely 10.13.1.
Has anybody some experiences to share?

Thanks!
Jan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There don't appear to be immediate issues with 10.13. However, if it were my production system, I wouldn't upgrade for at least six months, if ever...

I'm just becoming semi comfortable that 10.12 is stable and suitable to be trusted in actual performance. (Because of its long track record, the system I most often use for shows has not been upgraded: It is a Mac Mini running 10.8.5.)

The direction Apple is taking MacOS is more and more towards a consumer system. In order to make it safe to use in a production context, there's more and more to disable each new version. Figure53 has a great page that gives an overview: https://figure53.com/docs/qlab/v3/gener ... -your-mac/.

LXConsole itself will probably have no difficulty with 10.13, other than consumer focussed stuff, under the hood for what LXConsole does its pretty much the same. If there are any issues that someone finds, please post them here. But, that said, it may not be LXConsole that causes a problem in performance, but the computer updating iCloud or your photo stream or something else...
manjarco

Post by manjarco »

Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately our production system is also my personal working system, so I'm not able to stay on an old OS that long…

For anyone wondering: the last few runs of our latest show went smoothly with 10.13 and the newest release of LXConsole.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole has indeed been running fine with High Sierra.

BUT, 10.13.0 and 10.13.1 have some significant issues. If you are contemplating an upgrade, it would be very wise to wait for 10.13.2.