OSC make it crash

LXConsole support and feedback
Pace514

OSC make it crash

Post by Pace514 »

Hi Claude !!!

When i'm using my iPad (touchOSC) to confirm that i want to replace an existing Cue, LXConsole crashes. It happens only if i'm clicking first and second ''enter'' very fast. I've tryed to use a USB cable with touchOSC Bridge feature with no luck. I can go as fast as i can on the Mac itself without any problem.
Same thing on both of my Macbook pro.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Pascal
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you say "it hurts when I hit my head with a hammer." The tempting reply is "well, don't do that." But the better response is to just take away the hammer so you can't hurt yourself.

So, the latest build of LXConsole, Version 5.2.1 (11721.1), will not allow you to prematurely/preemptively dismiss the "replace existing cue" alert sheet via OSC. This means if you try to dismiss the sheet by hitting enter on TouchOSC while LXConsole is in the process of displaying the alert (which causes the crash), LXConsole will ignore you until it can safely dismiss the sheet.

Its impossible to dismiss the sheet before it appears if you are hitting enter on the Mac. That's why the crash never happens in that case.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually, build (11721.2) improves on this so that if you hit enter twice quickly via OSC,and the alert is not ready, LXConsole will wait 1/2 second to see if it can be dismissed. So, you can probably double-tap enter and get away with it.

BUT, the "are you sure?" warning is there for a reason. If you're in the habit of double-tapping, it defeats the purpose of making you think. And, you run close to as much of a risk of accidentally overwriting as if there was no warning at all.

So, while it may make you feel faster because you don't have to pause for a second before confirming, that will be wiped out by the time you have to climb up to the booth to the computer to access Undo to get the cue you erased accidentally back. (Or, the time it takes to re-build the cue because you don't find out about the accidental erasure until much later--like during a run.). This could wind up a bit like giving you the hammer back...
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

Dear Claude !!!

I don't want to start a debate on the fact that the "are you sure" is there for a reason. Of corse it is. But an unwanted double tap is always a possibility an a crash is the last thing we want to happen... And it did last week during a show. Fortunately, LXConsole is pretty fast back on it's feet. Even if it resume in CUE 1, i jumped to the right one in no time.

It made me realized something...
I run 2 macbook pro using sACN with different priorities. If i unplugged the main, backup take over with no problem. Same thing if i deactivate the ETHERNET DMX. But if LXConsole crashes, backup doest not take over.
Why is it so and is there a way to ensure that backup do it's job in that situation.

Thanks a lot !

Pascal
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The crash caused by the double-tap should be fixed in build (11721.2) so tap away...

I'm not sure how the crash would differ from simply quitting or deactivating sACN. I believe that the whole application terminates, including the thread that is sending sACN. I will see if I can deliberately cause a crash and look at the network to see if somehow the sending thread continues. That is the only explanation I can think of, short of the backup not actually sending sACN when you experienced the crash.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What happens, at least with one version of the crash that was just fixed is that the Alert is dismissed before it is visible, so it locks up the interface of LXConsole which is not a true crash where the program terminates due to an exception. LXConsole continues to run and send sACN. The only way to stop it is to force the frozen interface to quit, and restart.

But, that is particular to this situation. Which, starting with the latest build, cannot happen.
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

Hi Claude !!!

When i try to re-record a cue via osc (ipad) LXCONSOLE crash the seconde i hit ''OK'' button on the message "are you sure you want to replace it ?"
And i leave plenty of time before confirming.

I have had this problem as you can see below in 2017.

I use Version 5.6.0 (14305.1)

Thank you again... again !
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

I meant as you can see above...
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

Hi Claude !!!

Version 5.4.1 do not crashes when confirming "are you shure..." message via touchOSC.

anything above crashes.

Have a nice day !
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This should be fixed in the latest build 5.6.0 (14419.1).