Connecting lx Console with DMX via ethernet

LXConsole support and feedback
Evie

Connecting lx Console with DMX via ethernet

Post by Evie »

Hi,

It's me agian ;P
I've run into another issue which is probably very easy to fix (unless you're me)

I have all my cues set up in LX console, my mac is connected to an enttec ernet device via ethernet cable, I then have a dmx cable going out to some lights from the ernet.

The cues tigger, but then don't actually change any of the lights. What settings do i need to setup in oder for LX console to communicate with the lights?

I have "Ethernet DMX" selected. I've also read the LX console help "LXConsole Preferences External Connections Tabs" but can't seem to make much sense of it!

Thanks!

Evie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It sounds like you have an ENTTEC ODE and it is connected directly to the Mac. If this is not correct, this answer may not help. If, for example, you have the Mac plugged into a router and the ODE also plugged into the router, the answer is slightly different.

First, you should use the ENTTEC node manager utility to find out the IP address of your ODE. Its likely something like 2.12.34.56 (starting with 2 as the first octet). When you plug the Mac directly together with a device, rather than through a router, the Mac will want to assign its own IP address. Usually this address starts with 169 and is assigned to another IP network from the ODE which we are assuming is using a class A address assigned to network 2.

So, open Network Preferences from the System Preferences. Select your ethernet connection from the list in the left side of the preferences pane.

You'll need to unlock the preferences with a password so you can set Configure IPv4 to "Manually". You'll want to give the Mac an address 1 greater than that of the ODE. So if the ODE's address is 2.34.56.189, set your Mac's address to be 2.34.56.190. Also enter 255.0.0.0 in the subnet Mask.

Be sure to click "Apply".

Open LXConsole. Look in the Preferences DMX Info tab. Make sure you have "Select Automatically" checked where it says Network Interface.

Switch to the DMX Out tab. The Art-Net popup should be set to "2.x.y.z". Click the "Art-Net Nodes" button. Within a few seconds, you should see the ODE listed in the nodes. (You should also see your Mac).

If you don't see the node listed, its likely you still have an ethernet addressing problem. If this is the case, post another message here with the exact addresses of your Mac and ODE.

If you do see your node, you should be able to control your lights. If you can't control the lights but see the node, click the Go button, you should see the less on the ODE blink rapidly. This tells you that LXConsole is connected and sending to the ODE. So, the problem lies elsewhere.