BCF2000 fader banks question

LXConsole support and feedback
Edzo

BCF2000 fader banks question

Post by Edzo »

Hello all,

I'm using Lxconsole for some years now, I like it's stability, and design . Works great for me!

I bought a BCF2000 , to make building cues faster, and to correct them fast, as I often do this during rehearsals of a theatre show.

So far so good, I'm getting somewhere with midi and managed to put things nicely together.

LXconsole listens perfectly to the BCF2000 and the BCF motorized faders follow LXconsole commands and cue changes.

The only thing I can't seem to work out is the following:

I use say 80 channels in LXconsole. this means using 10 faderbanks on the BCF.

When I push GO to the next cue the faders in the actual bank are perfectly responding to LXconsole. but when I switch to another bank , the faders are not automaticcaly adjusting to this new cue. Activating and slightly changing any channel in live mode DOES 'update' this bank, and the faders match the levels.

Is there a way to work around this?? I mean when I change banks on the BCF any of the banks will immediately adapt itself to the levels in LXconsole?

Any help will be appreciated. Because I want to use it for fast working, it's a bit annoying to activate each bank by mouseclick in the livescreen......
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does the BCF2000 send a MIDI message when you switch banks? You might be able to tell using the detect function in the MIDI tab of the setup window.

It sounds like the faders are controlling individual channels and you have enabled "Send Channel Change" in the preferences. If this is the case, it seems that the BCF2000 does not store values for faders that are not in the current bank. As soon as you click in the main display, levels for all channels defined in MIDI actions are sent as individual messages. The ones for the current bank are reflected by the motorized faders. Ones for other banks are ignored(?). The reason to think this is that if you later switch to another bank, it takes LXConsole re-sending all the channel levels for the motorized faders to reflect the new set of levels.

The reason for the question at the top of this post is that if the BCF2000 sends a MIDI message when you change banks, it might be possible to add an action that causes all the channel levels to be sent, just like what happens when you click in the window.
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

Thank you for your answer, and for thinking with me!

I'm going to try some more toninght, and I will also check your suggestions. I'll keep you updated!
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

Ok, have more time now.

What you discribe in your post, is indeed exactly the situation.

I'm glad I was able to describe clear enough what I meant, we understand eachother! :D
I'm from holland , so english is also not my main language.

I tried 2 things now. I checked if the BCF sends midi while changing banks. It does NOT.

Further I made an effect , and let it run continuously. The effect is changing ch.512 from 0 to 1% and back in 0.5 sec.
When I play this effect, and run through the cues everything goes fine, it results the BCF getting an 'update' every 0.5 sec and every bank picks up the actual fader positions.

It is a bit a cruel way to make it work, but at least we can conclude what is the issue here.
The result of the constant input in the BCF is a constant buzzing noise from the BCF, (which it always does on changes from LXconsole), even if the faders of the current bank aren't supposed to move) I guess this is an BCF 'thing' due to the construction of it.
As a workaround (for playing a silent theatre piece) I already programmed a bank with deactivated faders, which does the job, for changes made by cues.

I wonder what will happen in case of stability if the BCF constantly receiving info, and LXconsole constantly sending it by using this effect.

In short: this workaround is NOT elegant, but does the job now in my test-time with this setup.
Halfway January it should be working steady and reliable.
I hope for some suggestions to make the solutions more elegant. The empty faderbank to reduce noise is OK by me, I think it's due to the design of the BCF.
But to send continous information from LX console to keep the BCF 'awake' worries me a bit.
I'm curious to suggestions !
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Instead of forcing a continuous update, can you assign one of the other buttons on the BCF2000 to send a message that causes the sync? It would require changing the bank and then manually pressing another button to sync the faders. But, that might be preferable and would cut down on the noise.

The latest build of LXConsole (10719.1) adds a MIDI action "SYNC" that will send out via midi levels for all channels, subs and the master fader. You could use that instead of setting a level on channel 512.
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

Wow. I just downloaded latest build :shock: :D . I think you did some major good things screenwise :!:

More results for what I've tried in/after my last post: If I send an FX continuously , the BCF makes the buzz noise, (except in empty bank 6) like I said , but when it is buzzing it blocks the faders, so in this sitiuation I cannot edit my channels with the fasers. I forgot to check this before my last post. Ergo: no-go for this 'solution'

Your suggestion about assinging a button on the behringer to 'SYNC' works indeed well, and is way more failure-proof and much faster than wiggeling around with the mouse.

I will maybe search for some Behringer-forum to try to figure out if nothing bettercan be done about this.

Thanks for adding this SYNC to the standard midi commands, and I think (I must get used to it first :lol: ) You made a big upgrade in the design and workability from LXconsole. Super work!!
I keeo you posted !!!
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

One minor thing which doesn't seem to work in 10719.2 is the key=q;key=%v and the key=clear functions. It worked well before, I used the first on a rotary dial, the second on a button.

It seems as if the command line doesn't respond to midi yet.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is actually an issue that was caused by the LXConsole 5 re-design. It is fixed in the latest build.

There may still be other small things like this that need to be changed over to the new design. However, the last few builds have survived a number of shows now and appear to be pretty stable.
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

Ok! Thanks! I will update as soon as possible .

Now there is one thing I seem to be missing I think. I made some simple fixture, (RGBdim) , now I can't get the BCF to work on the subchannels. Do I need to use the channel numbers only or do I need to add something to the command? ex: 141@%v doesn't work on subchannels.

Maybe It's something very simple, I just don't see it.

CCIntesity seems to work, but for the colors I can't figure it out. I tried CCRed for example but with no result.

I updtaed again, now the 'clear' button works, the key=q command also, but key=q;key=%v not. so the second command isn't recognized.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The key=%v action command is fixed.

The "CC" channel control commands refer to named sliders in the channel tab of the inspector. "CC" followed by the subchannel can control other parameters: CC23 controls red.

The latest build 4.7.3 (10722.1) will also try to match the name so CCred and CCRed should now work.

141@%v sets the level for channel 141's intensity. 141.23@%v sets the level for channel 141's red subchannel.

The latest build 4.7.3 (10722.1) will also try to match the name so 141.Red@%v sets the level for channel 141's red subchannel. Also, when the OSC/MIDI always live preference is disabled, 141@%v will set the level for the currently displayed subchannel.
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

Superb!!! yor fast answers and solutions !

I tried all versions , with next results:

with use of the variation of @%v the behringer understands it, and changes faders automatically, but if I move a fader manually LXconsole doesn't react,

with use of the CC version, The faders on the Behringer don't react, but LXconsole does react on an manual moved fader.

the key=q;key=%v works fine now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That is correct, the channel controls do not output MIDI.

You may want to look at your MIDI output preferences to see why the MIDI message corresponding to a "channel@%v" action is not sent when the level of that channel is changed.
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

Sorry, maybe I was not clear in my message. it seems the BCF receives midi with the @%v version, and reacts to it, but the commands back to Lxconsole don't work. Tomorrow I'll try again, I tried this evening during my work, maybe I missed something. Now it's 2 o'clock am here, I give it a try tomorrow.
Edzo

Post by Edzo »

Thanks very much for your answers, I get it now, subs don't send Midi. unless I adress them individually to their respective channel, which leaves me with lots of separate channels.....check on that.

Now I m trying to figure out a "MIB" (move in black) construction for some fixtures. I built the personality, and everything works like a dream. Only the MIB question keeps me busy, do you have any suggestion on how to program this in theatre cues wich include also dimmers? I tried some things already with Delay Highlighted Channels, but it seems to me I really need a separete cue every time to really make it MIB ??