adding a time variable to the application of commands

LXConsole support and feedback
freadZdead

adding a time variable to the application of commands

Post by freadZdead »

Just came out of a gig where this would have been extremely helpful (I guess rocknroll is an apt description, if not for the music genre) - having an OSC and MIDI settable time variable that applies to all commands that change values (outside of running cues and effects).

The idea being that currently, whatever I type into the command line is applied instantly, which is fine and desirable when you are programming, specifically a theatrical show where the actors are really good :).

However, when it comes to any other gig, where the human factor combined with general lack of time for proper setup forces you to improvise, it would be fantastic to be able to set a global time variable to an arbitrary number - say i.e. 5 seconds. whatever command(s) are executed next will take said time to complete. This can range from applying a color preset, an intensity, including a group (i.e. when setting Posiiton and/or Beam) etc. In other boards, I have seen it implemented as i.e. a command suffix ("sneak"), but I dare say here is an option to do it better and more elegant, with said global setting; it could be mapped to a fader i.e., so the speed of the application would be directly at your finger tips.

What do you think?
Cheers,

Freddy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a fine idea. However, it is not easily implemented. Perhaps something for a future version (LXConsole 6?).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the meantime, you can always select the channels you want to alter by clicking on them in the main display (live mode) and using a mouse with a scroll wheel or a trackpad to "wheel" them up or down.
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

Thanks for the glimmer of hope in the distant future :)... and in the meantime, scrolling it is... another option could be easier to implement; say one keeps ample cue numbers (even point cues) free between the current and the next cue, if there was a command that would record the current state plus the selected command(s) into the next cue, then the transition could be simply exectuting said next cue; Don't know if this would be easier to realise? Kind of a blind recording into the next available cue, including a timing variable... and then executing it... just a thought.

And yes, I have used the wheeling to simulate gradual changes :)...
Cheers,

Freddy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can edit the next cue in Live mode when the display is set to "Preview Next Cue", (View->Display Options, Levels tab). When the display is in this mode, pressing "n" at the beginning of the command line sets "Next Cue Mode". The background of the command line field will turn red. The next command will apply to the cue that is queued to play.

The red is a visual reminder because in next cue mode you are NOT editing the cue that is visible onstage. (That's why the display must be in preview next cue so you can see what you are doing/have done.) The command line field will be completely red if the main display has the keyboard focus. When the insertion point is in the command line, the red is just an outline.