outputting dmx via ethernet

LXConsole support and feedback
Pace514

outputting dmx via ethernet

Post by Pace514 »

Hi Claude !!!

I'm using LXConsole 5 now. Congratulation! Like it a lot!

I can't find how to output dmx on more than one universe at a time. I'm using sACN. In the "preferences"--> "DMX out", i can output dmx only on the universe that is written in... "universes" input box (Local Universe set to: All). I've tried to enter like: 1,2,3,4 like we do in "patch" but i guess i'm missing something here.

Thanks again for your time.

Pascal
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unless you elect to send only one specific local universe, LXConsole will send packets for universes up to the highest patched address. If the highest address in the patch table is 512, only the first universe is sent. If the highest address is 513, the first two universes are sent, etc.

If you ONLY have address 513 patched and nothing patched to 1-512, LXConsole will still send both universes.

The local universes are sent to sACN universes starting with the universe number in the "Universe:" field. This is normally 1 and if so, LXConsole's universes are the same as what is output via sACN. If you set the sACN starting universe to 2, LXConsole addresses 1-512 will be sent to the second sACN universe, addresses 513-1024 will go to the third, etc.

LXConsole sends sACN to the appropriate multicast address for the universe. The first sACN universe is sent to 239.254.0.1. The second sACN universe is sent to 239.254.0.2, etc. If you elect to unicast sACN by specifying an address in the Send to Address:" field, packets for all universes are directed to that address.
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

OK then!
I know that with grandMA 2, you can patch like: 2.001 instead of 513. You doesn't have to do calculation that way. I think it would be a great addition. Maybe in the future?

For now i'm going to try to control more than one universe at a time...

Once again, Thank you!

Pascal
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

Just checked - at least with Artnet, you can also patch i.e. 2.1 or 2.001 and it works. Never really played with sACN yet. What is the benefit over Artnet, btw?
Cheers,

Freddy
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

Hi freadZdead !!!

It works with sACN. Noticed a strange behavior tough. I'll detailed tomorrow. Little late here (1:40 am.). If i'm not mistaken, for you it is about supper time...

Thanks for the reply!

Pascal
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

So, it is working. i'm able to output on the first 2 universes. I assume it would be the same for the next 2. One strange thing however. Let's say i'm importing 8 fixtures, auto-patching is fine. But if i go for 8 more, i'm loosing patch for half of the first 8... See video please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hvguhiwodcr5 ... h.mov?dl=0

Pascal
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That is correct. You cannot patch an address to more than one channel.

533 = 2.21 which, when you go to patch the second set of channels is already assigned.

If instead of starting the second set of channels at 533, you were to start at 2.41, you would avoid the addresses you have already used.
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

Oups! Sorry! where was i...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well your video did show an issue that has needed fixing: When importing a patch, the generated addresses should use universe notation rather than absolute numbers. No one sets a fixture to 533. They set it to 21 and connect it to the second universe. (should be fixed in the latest build).