Follow-Me Channel Window

LXConsole support and feedback
freadZdead

Follow-Me Channel Window

Post by freadZdead »

Hi Claude,

While I appreciate the non-cluttered way that the channel window presents itself, I have wondered if there might be a more intuitive way of handling the display, specifically when working on a show with multiple movers; When I work on say Pan, I usually find it interesting to see what the other fixture's Pan values are, etc. Here a few ideas that came to mind, some of which could be combined, but you might have a much better one:

Option 1: A settings option that, once activated, will cause any incoming MIDI or OSC signal for specific subchannels (i.e. CCPan or CC21) to switch the popup menu at the bottom of the main window (and thus the channel window) to that particular subchannel

Option 2: A mappable commandline text (i.e. CCPan or CC21 with or without any value) that can be mapped to switching the window from the command line - once setup, pretty much achieving the same result as the solution above, but you can distinguish which subchannels to "follow"; the benefit would also be that it could be mapped to a Z value, in case the control surface does have one, allowing to just display without changing the value.
Cheers,

Freddy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The command line includes functions for switching between the main subchannels (see the command line reference in the help). However, functions that operate on the user interface cannot be used in multiple command OSC actions.

This is now fixed in the LXConsole5 beta which is only available as a separate link on the LXConsole download page. This fix makes it possible to use a multi-command action such as "CC-Pan;P;@". this action maps the OSC message's float argument to the channel controls pan fader; switches to the pan sub channel in the main display (which involves the command line so the selected channels are lost); so, it is necessary to have the third command "@" which restores the previously selected channels.

Note that multiple commands triggered by the same OSC message are separated in the action by semicolons. This has been the case. However, as noted above there were some restrictions which have been fixed in the beta.

The LXConsole 5 beta makes changes to the DMX output and should be tested well before being used in a live performance situation. It also includes major changes to the user interface. Not all UI functions may be working correctly at this time. Use it with caution.
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

That is great stuff, love the new look of LXConsole 5, too! And being able to combine several commandline actions into one OSC - absolutely awesome! I am thinking of mapping a Z parameter though, that way, I will be able to see without necessarily changing at a fingertip on my motorised faders.

Just a thing - I noted in the doc that it says "Color (select) k" - in my mind, that would go to the next available Color related subchannel, i.e., if all fixtures are RGB, then the first time hitting k would activate Red; When I do it in a scenario like that though, it goes to "Frame" and stays there.

I know that messing around with i.e. adding popular ones like Red Green Blue shortcuts could lead quickly to trouble (r being Record i.e.), but maybe if there was a magic prefix like $ or something plus the subchannel ASCII number (i.e. 21 for red), then we could select whatever subchannel view we were after...?

What do you think?
Cheers,

Freddy
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

PS, if a solution to implement all subchannels is too much/ too complicated, then would maybe just some favourites be ok?

21 Red
22 Green
23 Blue
29 White
102 Strobe

Would be high on my list... if at all possible :).
Cheers,

Freddy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest beta, Version 4.7.2 (10706.1), has a display command for the command line. The shortcut key is a caret. This expands to "Display:". Following that can be either the name or sub channel number.

^23 becomes "Display:23" which is the same as Display:Red.
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

Thank you Claude, brilliant solution, and such a quick implementation thereof - very grateful!
Cheers,

Freddy