Savingproblems

LXConsole support and feedback
Johan Söderberg

Savingproblems

Post by Johan Söderberg »

My LX Console never remembers the followtimes that I´ve saved!

I´ve made you a very simple sample of applescripting and timing in filemaker Pro that I´d like to send you. But it won´t work because it keeps forgetting the followtimes at 0.2 secs that I´ve put in a part of the sequence.

If I manually write them all in they work just fine til next time I close and reopen the file; - then they´re all gone :(
:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is there a sequence of events where not saving follow times is repeatable?
What version of LXConsole and OS-X are you using?

It is possible to begin editing a follow time and not hit enter when complete. This may give the appearance of a time being entered and when you look again it is gone. This happens if you type a time into a text field and move to another cue without hitting enter to set the value.

But this would not explain forgetting all follow times in a file. Can you see all the follow times in the cue sheet and then they don't save?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole 1.1.8 changes the behavior where editing in progress in a text field in the cue info drawer is aborted when switching to the next or previous cue.

For example, formerly you could enter 0.2 in the follow field of a cue and choose "Next Cue" without pressing return to finish editing the field. The result would be that the entry of 0.2 would be lost.

With v1.1.8, editing is completed rather than aborted by next/prev cue. So, in the above example, the entry of 0.2 that was in progress would be assigned to the first cue before going on to the next cue.

This means that if for some reason you DO want to abandon an edit, you will need to use Undo.
Johan Söderberg

OK Im updating...

I was using LXConsole version 1.1.4

in system 10.5.8
with a
2.66 Ghz Intel Core Duo
4 Gb 1067 MHz DDR3

Tried again with or without enter, but it just won´t save those times..

I´m busy uploading version 1.1.8 right now, so I´ll get back and let you know if there´s any change.

Bye for now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The first 1.1 beta version when groups and subs were added had a problem with saving links and follows. (due to an oversight and the fact that groups and subs don't have links or follows)

This was fixed at the end of June with v1.0.6. However, it is possible to have more than one version of LXConsole on your system. There does not seem to be a way to tell for sure which one will launch when you double-click a file. (It is probably the first one found in the launch services database, not necessarily the latest)

One thing to check when you open a file and see all the follow times missing from your cues is that the particular version running is not v1.0.5 (or earlier). This can be checked from "About LXConsole".
Johan Söderberg

Problem remains in the new version 1.1.8

There´s no change with the new version Im afraid.

Still can´t save linktimes.
Last edited by Johan Söderberg on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The video makes the problem clear. It has to do with the number format and using a comma as decimal separator. You can fix this in System Preferences -> Language & Text by setting a period as the decimal separator in the numbers section.

This may take a bit of work to figure out and fix correctly because the system behavior is not consistent. With the decimal separator set to comma, it seems necessary to enter "0.2" for the follow time in order to see "0,2" ??

Your follow times are being saved. If you look at the file with a text editor, you would see in the <ascii> tag for a cue "followon 0,2". The problem is that the 0,2 is not translated correctly for the system number preference settings. That is why the follow times disappear.

LXConsole actually uses the USITT ASCII format to store its cue information. That standard requires a period as a decimal because a comma is a field delimiter. So the solution is in how the data is presented in LXConsole and that seems inconsistent from the system perspective.

The fix will take some research as to why the localization doesn't happen correctly. For now, you have a work around solution. But, probably not the best if you have to set your System Preferences just to use LXConsole.
Johan Söderberg

OK

I had a hunch it was something like that going on.

If I enter 0,2 LXConsole writes "0" and if I enter"0.2" LXconsole shows "0,2".

In this part of the world we use the "."-sign for times but never numerals: -

22,45 is a numeral and 22.45 is a time.

I can´t change that in my system prefs because I guess that will lead to tons of problems in all other apps..

But it´s nice to know whats going on! Thanks.

bye.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is now v1.1.9 that hopefully solves the localized number format problem. Because LXConsole uses the USITT ASCII standard, number formats for times and cue numbers are restricted to follow that specification. This bypasses other localization of the interface provided by the operating system.

For times, the standard is hh:mm:ss.s. It sounds as if the decimal time of 0.2 would be OK for both Europe and the US. (I'm not sure about 1 min. 30 seconds as 1:30)

For cue numbers, the format is nnn.n. Here's where there might be a difference because cue "1,5" has to be entered as "1.5".