MIDI commands (via "go-box") intermittently bypass

LXConsole support and feedback
tharvey

MIDI commands (via "go-box") intermittently bypass

Post by tharvey »

hi Claude! i'm long time user, first time poster. that said, I love this app. also LXBeams. both are fantastic implementations for theatre. i've been slowly working up a big letter to ya with ideas and much praise, but that'll have to wait for another day.

i write instead with what i suspect is the first "bug" i've encountered in my 3 year's use.

we've a team sound "go box", which we use for the operator to fire cues when we're running shows. the trouble is that LXConsole intermittently interprets the MIDI GO as a "quick mode" style GO, even though quick mode is not engaged.

put another way, occasionally the MIDI GO action switches from using cue times as regular, to firing all cues as 0 counts. this might happen after 20 or 30 cues all running normally, then suddenly everyone becomes "quick mode" style.

switching to spacebar GOs (without any other change or interaction) always results with times being included again as regular.

it's very strange, and i haven't been able to correlate it to anything.

i'm a bit embarrassed to say that I first noticed this behaviour some time (maybe as many as 6 months back), but had assumed i'd set something amiss, and as it was intermittent, it didn't properly attract my attention for some time.

anyway, this week i sat down and really tried to troubleshoot it.

i suspect there is something related to time passed between cues. anytime i've sat down and just fired cue after cue in succession, I've never been able to cause the bug.

i had had the midi commands mapped via the "detect" button within the view/setup/midi commands page, as i preferred mapping the red button (on-2) to the "hold" action, as apposed to "stop" action. i wondered if maybe this was the trouble, so trashed those mappings, and went instead with the "ch 16 controls live buttons" option within the Preferences/MIDI menu. same trouble persists that way though.

also, I've two "go boxes", one which we use for our QLab machine. even though I was pretty sure this couldn't be hardware (ie, the box is only capable of firing it's 4 midi codes), i nonetheless rotated the two boxes, to no avail. have also taken a good look at both boxes' output via the app "midi monitor", and they seem to be functioning just fine.

any thoughts?

thanks for everything sir!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe that this may be due to the fact that you can hold down the option key and click the go button to bypass the timing and go directly into a cue. When the cue is triggered by MIDI, the event flag signifying the option key is undefined. Its going to be hard to prove a negative. However, if this is indeed what is happening, it is prevented in the latest build, 4.6.6 (10618.1).

*** This build also has improved output options that are relatively new. Do not upgrade to this latest build in the middle of a running production. Allow time to test to make sure that the output is working for your configuration before using in a live performance situation. ***
tharvey

Post by tharvey »

thanks Claude, I'll test with the new build tomorrow and report back. thanks again for the speedy reply!
tharvey

Post by tharvey »

hi again Claude,

happy to report the new update has corrected the trouble!

thanks again!