LXConsole with KORG nanoKONTROL2 LED buttons

LXConsole support and feedback
pzykl0n

LXConsole with KORG nanoKONTROL2 LED buttons

Post by pzykl0n »

Hi to all!
I'm curious about one thing.
I am trying to figure out a way to get the LED's on my Korg nanoKONTROL 2 to stay on constantly, so I can see what button I am pressing in the dark.
You think that is possible with LXConsole?
Thanks for answer.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking at the documentation and trying this with an original nanoKONTROL, it does not appear possible to turn on and off the leds via MIDI.

The nanoKONTROL2 documentation makes it seem like it might be possible. Not having a newer nanoKONTROL to test makes it difficult to say for sure.

What appears might work is to send the same control change as what the button sends out. The only way to send a specific control change from LXConsole is to add a cue action in the advanced tab of the main window's drawer (must be in cues not live mode). When you add an action, the table cell in the action column has a popup button that will allow you to select MIDI Control Change. Once that is selected, clicking the Edit button will allow you to set the channel, control number and value. I'd try 127 for on and 0 for off and see if that works.
pzykl0n

Post by pzykl0n »

Just one question about that. I'm not sure what control number means. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The nanoKONTROL sends MIDI control changes when buttons are pressed, knobs turned and sliders moved. Control change messages consist of three numbers, the MIDI channel, the control number, and a value. For example, the first knob on a nanoKONTROL2 sends a control change with control number 16 and a value of 0-127 depending on the position of the knob. There are three buttons next to the first slider (control number 0) which send control changes with control numbers 32, 48 and 64. The MIDI channel for each set of knob/buttons/slider defaults to the global channel.

The nanoKONTROL is completely programmable as to what MIDI messages are sent by the knobs and buttons. You can use the KontrolEditor application to view the current settings (and change them). You can find a download for the application and also documentation at the korg website.
pzykl0n

Post by pzykl0n »

Yes, it is working.
You have to switch to External LED mode in KORG Kontrol editor and then it works like you wrote.
Thanks a lot, you're the best!