LXConsle Soft Patch

LXConsole support and feedback
Paul zoom-motion

LXConsle Soft Patch

Post by Paul zoom-motion »

I’m very new to this forum and new to this software. I have managed to setup a simple working light show using our own 4 channel dimmer pack, now would like to take the next step.

What I would like to do is send lighting commands from Qlab > LXConsole > Enttec USB DMX dongle to theatre in-house lighting desks or direct to theatre dimmers. The lighting plot is very simple only using 4 DMX channels of lighting for a simple 1 man show.

The setup is working well using our own small set of lights with 1 - 4ch dimmer pack addressed 1-4 we would now like to up-scale to use the theatre’s lights as well or independently to ours.

Would I be right in saying I need to "soft patch" within LXconsole to whatever DMX address I’m given from the theatre in-house lighting? Example I’ve programmed 4 channels of lighting into 30 cues within LXConsole now I want to send channels 1-4 lets say to there DMX channels 21-24

I think LXConsole allows for this but I’m not sure where to find this and how to set it up.

Thank you for any help you may offer

Cheers

Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The patch is in the channel table which is found in the lower section of the split screen in the main window. You can make this visible by dragging the divider (shown wth a small dot below the channel display) upwards toward the top of the screen.

To see what this looks like, Choose Help->LXConsole Help. Click on "Main Window" Then click on "Channel Table"

The channel-to-dimmer patch is set using the column labeled "Patch". If you want to control your dimmer 1 and the theatre's dimmer 42 with channel 1, you would put "1,42" in the Patch column for channel 1's row.
Johan Söderberg

A short commercial brake.

Post by Johan Söderberg »

the modest admin isnt much of a salespusher so Ill tell you about an alternative way to get the patching done.

I myself rarely look in that patch part of LXConsole since I'm a happy owner of LXBeams. I always make a plot of what Im working with. Guess that seems a waste of time maybe having only four channels, but I'd do it anyway since its a good habit to document your work. And the second, third and fourth time you return to that theatre you'll probably start to see the point...

In LXBeams I give each lamp a channel and dimmer number plus maybe some more information like the name of a group it belongs to and so on.

And Then! - There is this absolutely wonderful applescript in LXBeams called "setup LXConsole". I run that and Voila - the patching is done automatically.
Whatever I drew in my plot is now in my console!

The benefit, apart from its elegance and simplicity is that in the process I will receive warnings if I've done something wrong so its easy to find and correct whatever i might have messed up.
If you ask me that setup LXconsole-script plus then the "send to qlabscript" in Lxconsole are two gems that work so well together that LXBeams is worth every penny, for that script only.

End of salespush ;-)

Good luck!