Linking Qlab MSC with LXConsole

LXConsole support and feedback
GB

Linking Qlab MSC with LXConsole

Post by GB »

I seem to be unable to get QLab to trigger sues in LXConsole. I have viewed a number of tutorials on Youtube, but I am unable to get the two software to talk with each other. Can anyone help me out? I didn't think it would be this difficult. I have a shown 2 weeks time and I need to know if I can operate projection, audio and lights from Qlab. Any trick that I should be doing that will get the two talking with each other?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Setting up Qlab to trigger cues in LXConsole can be done with either MIDI or OSC. In either case, it involves three steps.

First, LXConsole has to be configured using the Preferences panel. The tabs for incoming control are called "MIDI" and "OSC". For MIDI, you designate the source and channel. For OSC, you set the network connection and port. If you want to respond to QLab style /cue/n/start messages, the box enabling this must be checked.

In most cases, selecting "any interface" for the OSC network connection or "Any" for the MIDI connection should work. For OSC, the port should match the port you use in QLab. The port should NOT match the ports QLab uses (53000 or 53001).

Second, you need to setup QLab with the matching MIDI or OSC patch in the workspace preferences.

In LXConsole, MIDI or OSC input needs to be enabled using File->External->MIDI/Show Control In or File->External->OSC In menu commands. These commands have corresponding buttons that can be added to the toolbar using View->Customize Toolbar. This makes it readily apparent if the connection is active or not.

LXConsole's Live window is what receives OSC and MIDI control. It must be open for control to be active.

In View->Setup you can map specific MIDI or OSC messages to LXConsole actions. You should not need to do this just to trigger cues from QLab. For MIDI, sending a MIDI Show Control (MSC) GO command will trigger the specified cue in LXConsole (provided the Live window is open and the cue exists). For OSC, you should be able to send a QLab OSC Message for a cue to start (if the ""/cue/ option is set in the preferences).

If LXConsole and QLab are running on the same computer, the IAC Driver Bus is a good choice for MIDI and localhost or 127.0.0.1 are good choices for OSC. If the applications are running on different machines, then it may be necessary to verify that the MIDI or network connection between the two is working.