Groups have an LTP behaviour

LXConsole support and feedback
Johan Söderberg

Groups have an LTP behaviour

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Using LXConsole Version 4.1.0 (9509.1).

If I pick channels wit the cursor they can be manually faded from whatever level I may catch them in.

But if I choose the same channels by calling a group they will leave whatever valuue they had when picked and start over from zero. Thus making groups useless for any live action.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That is the correct behavior of groups. If you want to select the channels marked in group one and then adjust them up or down from their current levels (regardless of the level they are recorded in the group) you would press "g", "1", "s" or <group><1><select> This selects the marked channels in the group and scrolling over the main display will adjust levels just as if the individual channels had been selected manually.

There is an additional shortcut for selecting adjacent channels that have the same entry in the "group" column of the channel table. You do this by holding down the option key and clicking on any one channel and all adjacent channels with the same group name will be selected. This applies to consecutive channel numbers. And, the group field of the channel table is completely different than preset groups. (You can generate preset groups using the group column of the channel table but this is not an automatic association)
Johan Söderberg

Ok, if thats normal behaviour I just need to figure out when and why that could be useful. Beats me so far.

Writing an S for "select" works fine. But feels a bit scary to use live. I get no visual confirmation showing in what state I am. The channels just turn yellow in either case. If i forgot to write the S they will instantly go to zero as soon as I happen to nudge the mouse or trackpad , if I didnt they wont.
-
The option thing sounds very useful! But assuming that is the "alt" key on a mac it doesnt work. If I hold down the alt-button I cannot pick any channels at all.
Ive tried most buttons one could suspect but none has the desired effect.
Do I needto push a combination of buttons to find this elusive optionstate?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is clear feedback because the command line will remain group:1 if you are about to set a level for the group. If you have entered group:1select that is the complete command and the command line will be empty.

The option-click only works with channels that have a group listed in the channels table. In which case, the option-click selects any other channels that have the same group name. When a channel does not have a group listed in the channels table, it cannot be selected at all with option-click.
Johan Söderberg

Aha...

That made some difference :)

Fiddling with this I came up with a request:

- If I show the group list it would be nice if I could click one or, with command and shift-click, more groups and get them selected in the mainwindow.

Similar to the ability to choose next cue by clicking on a cue in the cue sheet.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build 4.1.3 (9626.1) allows selecting channels marked in a group by clicking on a row in the group list window.

There's also a passive selection preference that disables this function as well as the ability to select cues by clicking on rows in the cue sheet or cue list. (In case this extra functionality is not desired). When the passive selection preference is enabled, you will be able to double-click a row in the cue/group/sub list windows and have it either select the cue or, in the case of the group list, select the channels marked in the group.