Translating Channels

LXConsole support and feedback
freadZdead

Translating Channels

Post by freadZdead »

Hi Claude,

This might already work just fine, but with all the improvements that you have implemented over the years, I wondered if this can (still) be achieved:

In the show that I am doing at the moment, which uses cues, dynamically included Groups, and Channel-based effects, is there an easy way to "rename" a channel's number?

Say I have in my LXConsole show Ch1-3+5 (Specials that are used), and then a few more lanterns that happened to be in the grid, Ch 4 (which was going to be a special), and Ch6-9, and I would like to now change

Ch4 > Ch11
Ch6 > Ch12
Ch7 > Ch13
Ch8 > Ch14
Ch9 > Ch15

in all Cues, Groups, Effects - all the uses within LXConsole - potentially even with the associated info like Group, Use, and Patch - is this possible?

I saw in the help doc that there is such mechanism when dealing with ASCII files, but I was unsure whether exporting LXConsole into ASCII and then re-importing might be a lossy process.
Cheers,

Freddy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can translate your file in place. In the setup window's translations tab set the number of channels to translate to 9. In the table enter your translations eg. in row 4 enter 11. Blank rows are not translated. The result is going to be incoming channel 4 levels will go to channel 11. Note that because you are only translating 4 channels any levels for channel 11 will remain. Also, translations apply only to intensity. You can translate an intensity to a subchannel. But, there is no provision for translating incoming subchannels like 4.1 (frame) or 4.2 (pan).

Once you have setup your translations, save your file. Then use File->Import->Cues to import the same file. In the options, be sure everything you want to translate and the translate box is checked. The HTP option is for how to merge levels into the same channel. That may or may not apply. After importing, you should find your channels have been translated. I'd advise using Save As right away so you don't accidentally save over the original file. That way you retain the original and the newly translated version.
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

Hi Claude,

While I completely understand that some of my requests below are perhaps asking for luxury (including moving subchannels with the patched channels, as well as the "Use", "Group", and "Patched channels" fields of the original channels in the patch), an issue that severely impeded on functionality of this feature was the fact that at least in Groups, but potentially also in Cues and Subs, the marked channels weren't transferred correctly (i.e., the intensities were moved to the new channels, but they did not get marked). Luckily, in my case it was only a handful cases that I could fix by comparing both files, but that does invite human error :).

Fixing/improving this would be greatly appreciated, though I concede that at least on my part, this is not an urgent request (as I don't have a need in the very immediate future).
Cheers,

Freddy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build 3.9.1 (8926.1) improves channel translation when importing lxcues files. Specifically, marked channels are now correctly translated. Complete channels are translated including all subchannel levels.

Channel translation does not alter the setup or patch in the receiving file. So, if you are translating channel 1 which is a RGB par to channel 11, channel 11 must be setup as a RGB par for the sub channels to completely transfer. If channel 11 is a plain intensity channel, then only the intensity from channel 1 will translate into channel 11.

You can still, as previously, translate an intensity channel to a specific sub channel. When the translated channel specifies a sub channel, only the intensity of the source channel will be translated to the receiving subchannel. So, if you are translating channel 1 which is a RGB par to channel 11.24, only the intensity of channel 1 will translate to 11.24. This is useful to convert a file with only conventional channels into one with subchannels.
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

Beautiful work, thank you!
Cheers,

Freddy