Lemur OSC to LXConsole - No Joy

LXConsole support and feedback
nizer

Lemur OSC to LXConsole - No Joy

Post by nizer »

I recently discovered Lemur (a pro OSC app for iOS) and love it.

I normally use TouchOSC and it works as expected.

I can't get Lemur to trigger LX. I can see all the OSC packets coming in as expected in Osculator. I can also easily trigger QLAb with it.

I would be glad to purchase Lemur for you because apparently I am in unexplored territory as there are no post besides this one about LX and Lemur.

I wonder if HarryTwoFingers ever got this to work.

Thanks for any help.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
Johan Söderberg

Hi Mark

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Im also a happy owner of Lemur which is so very much prettier than TouchOSC and it does have some really fun functions.

However Ive never had time to get it to go with LXConsole.
If i ever do find the time I will not be using the Osculator rather go with straight OSC commands only. I try to avoid making things too complicated.

But I guess you´re right about Harry twofingers
- I think he knows how to handle it!

I'll send him a note on facebook and ask him to answer your questions, if he can.
HarryTwoFingers

Post by HarryTwoFingers »

Was I while since I did Lemur and LX....but..
found an old file I have done and tested a moment ago.
In your Lemureditor document you can set the midi cc name.
Those midi cc:s you can program into lX setup window.
You do not need Osculator for this.

At the moment I have the Lemur deamon going on my computer and it shows up in LX preferences.
LX console is also on and in live mode.
I also have a Lemur document on my ipad.

And now my wife needs the iPad and we have to eat.
Sounds as if was 14 or something ;-)
Will be back.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It appears that Lemur sends OSC bundle messages. LXConsole did not support these messages. And, it had an error in ignoring packets containing them that could cause an endless loop. Handling OSC bundles is supported (at least basically) in LXConsole v3.8.1 which is the latest build.

It appears that Lemur may not always send bundles. So, it might appear that it worked with LXConsole at some times and not at others.
nizer

JOY!!!!

Post by nizer »

That did it. WOW!!!!

One question.

In TouchOSC I could send command line out to see it in a Label/Text field.

Tried that in Lemur with no luck.

I tried using the IP and port in the outgoing settings to no avail.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE FAST UPDATE. You are so great.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I knew that was going to be the next request... Lemur uses a different method to set the text of labels. It actually involves sending a message with two string arguments, "@content" and "your string" to the address of the text label.

LXConsole 3.8.1 (8807.1) will switch how it sends the command line, running cue and next cue text out in OSC messages. It sends Lemur-like messages when the primary OSC output connection is set to a specific IP address and to port 8000 (which is what Lemur always uses) eg. "10.20.30.40:8000" is typed into the combo box in the OSC Out preferences.

For TouchOSC, the command line is sent as a single string argument to the OSC address "/1/cmdline". For Lemur, the command line is sent as the second of two string arguments (the first being "@content") to the address "/cmdline". When you are setting up your Lemur project, set the name of your text label to be "cmdline" in the Objects panel. This is not obvious as it seems like the address should go in the Mapping panel. But, this is not the case.

This new build of LXConsole, .8.1 (8807.1), includes a version of the LXConsole remote file for use with Lemur on an iPad. (LXConsole->Install Extras->Lemur Remote File)
HarryTwoFingers

Post by HarryTwoFingers »

Ahhhh! So thats why I could not get anything out of Lemur either.
With TouchOsc I have a really nice 12 ch fader with lamps underneith glowing in accordance with the fader. With only OSC messages.
I´ll give Lemur a go again.