Fixture Color Space

LXConsole support and feedback
mysecretstache

Fixture Color Space

Post by mysecretstache »

As LED fixtures are adding more and more color channels for a broader range of output, is there any plan to add additional color controls to LX Console?

For example I see the direct control channels for the 7 color channels of a Source 4 Luster, but is there a way to use the Hue & Saturation channels instead?

Thanks,
Simon
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The way you would need to do this at the moment is to define custom sub-channels for Hue and Saturation.

Support for fixture based Hue and Saturation could be an added mix type in the future, particularly if it were to become common for manufacturers to adopt controlling the color using that method.
mysecretstache

Post by mysecretstache »

I went ahead and patched my LED Pars in a direct mode instead of HSI since I had the address space available.

The built in channel layout for my Source 4 Lusters is working great, but I also have some RGBAW+UV PARS, and after adding all the sub channels and patching, the color picker doesn't work quite as expected.

Unlike the Luster channels, when I grab the PAR channels and adjust the Color picker, only the RGBA sub channels get adjusted, leaving the White, and Indigo sub channels in their home position(The "UV" diodes are very close in color to the ETC Indigo diodes).

Am I missing something?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole does not currently support RGBAW+UV. LXConsole determines the color mix type by the presence of various sub-channels. If you add a dummy un-patched cyan channel, you could fool it into using its algorithm for led7+. Colors would probably come out shifted to purple because the lack of a cyan LED. As it stands now, LXConsole will pick its rgba model for those 6 channels.

The latest build (3.7.6) adds support for a Hue/Saturation mix type. Do your RGBAW+UV fixtures have that option?

What type of fixtures do you have that use RGBAW+UV?
mysecretstache

Post by mysecretstache »

Thanks,

I don't really need the UV anyway, but the fixtures do have a HSI and HSV modes. Which I'd rather use, since it allows me to leave behind a simpler setup once I walk out of the theatre.

I'm using Chauvet COLORDash Hex PARs.

They have a good output, color quality, and beam spread for the price, and better dimming curves then most cheap LED fixtures I've worked with so they work in a theatrical context.

I'm about to start rehearsing a show in a brand new theatre in Brooklyn, NY that only had 45amps of power to work with. We made the decision to purchase all LED fixtures, but figuring out the optimum control method is a process, along with the usual problems of building out a new space.