Yosemite (maybe?) issues

LXConsole support and feedback
calfredson

Yosemite (maybe?) issues

Post by calfredson »

I recently installed a new hard drive in my MacBook Pro and installed Yosemite while I was at it. Now, when I run LXConsole it is very laggy. There is a 2-3 second delay from when I edit something to when I see the change on the screen, and another 2-3 second delay until the lights actually change in the space. I am using an Ultra DMX Pro by DMX King using the Enttec USB DMX Pro protocol.

This hardware combination has worked for me in the past (before upgrading to Yosemite). The same DMX interface works with my older MacBook Pro which is also running Yosemite, so it isn't purely an OS problem.

I am running the latest build of LXConsole.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is an issue where Apple has started including a USB driver in the system. This driver does not work with a USB Pro. You can tell by looking in LXConsole's Preferences DMX Info tab. In the popup list of connections, you should only see D2XX. If you see another connection in the list, this is probably the Apple driver which is overriding the D2XX driver and not working properly with the USB Pro.

The solution is to disable the Apple USB driver. DMX King may have support for this issue. ENTTEC has a software tool available for its DMX USB Pro. If you are comfortable using the terminal, the following commands followed by a restart should disable the Apple driver:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBFTDI.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBFTDI.disabled

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -u /
(Note that you must have set a master password in order to use the sudo command.)
calfredson

Post by calfredson »

This seems to have solved my issue. I also find that once I have run a couple of cues, everything seems to run normally, whether I use the D2XX driver or the apple USB serial driver.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You may wish to consult with ENTTEC on if it is safe to use the Apple USB Driver. What I understood was that particularly the Mk2 widget required use of the d2xx driver.