MIDI and LX Console lost connection

LXConsole support and feedback
nizer

MIDI and LX Console lost connection

Post by nizer »

I was doing a TEDx talk and had limited set up and testing time. Of coarse I tried to do way more than I should. Things went fine up until I started trigger LX console from Qlab. LX was fine and worked independently and Midi Monitor showed the info was moving between the two apps.

After the talk it took 2.5 hours to get it to work. Nothing seemed to work, including restarting, disc permission and tossing preferences.

I disconnected the internal midi and reconnected it.

Any ideas?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
nizer

Post by nizer »

Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. I did see the picture on Facebook. Cool.

If it took 2.5 hours to get it to work, what did you do that finally made it work?

Also, which version of LXConsole/OS X were you using?

The setup window MIDI tab allows you to detect MIDI messages and also to test the actions that they are connected to. Did you observe LXConsole receiving messages, but not responding?

What types of messages were you sending from QLab? Were they note on, control change or something else?
nizer

Midi lost

Post by nizer »

I send MSC GO commands with a Device ID of 16 and Q number as the cue.

I'll check the setup window next time and use detect to see if LX is getting anything. I was doing all kinds of extra shell scripts and fast iPad OSC stuff so god knows what caused it. I haven't seen it before or since.

I am going try to recreate the situation to see if I can make it happen again.

Version 3.6.1 (8016A)

Thanks for the support.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MSC messages are not shown in the Setup window. They act directly and pre-defined as to what they do. Only Note on/off and control change messages will show in the setup window MIDI tab and are mappable to actions.

If this happens, you can always try turning MIDI/MSC in on and off. As well as check the connection in the preferences.

I've seen some delays in connecting to MIDI on OS X 10.9. I'm not sure if a driver for a MIDI device on the system caused this or not. But, on a plain OS X 10.10 system with just the IAC Driver Bus enabled, MSC between QLab and LXConsole seems to be working fine.
Johan Söderberg

Post by Johan Söderberg »

That TED talk sounds like a nightmare.

Could it be that the audience disturbed with all their smartphones?

Ive experienced something similar but less fatal as I held a conference. Everyone in the audience participated in an online music-quiz over their smartphones. That worked OK but my connection with the iPad was lost from time to time. I figured the hundreds of iPhones in that one same wifi net might have had something to do with it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have discovered an intermittent issue on an isolated WiFi network with dropped packets. It took a long time to isolate because it only happened infrequently.

I had a pretty complex piece that had a bunch of lighting cues tied to music over around 30 minutes. I had QLab on one computer playing the track and triggering lighting cues on another running LXConsole. The cues were triggered via OSC over the WiFi network. The WiFi router was not connected to the general internet and only had just the two computers on it during the show. So, not a lot of traffic. But, occasionally a light cue would fail to trigger.

After many many tries, running the cues and capturing the network traffic with WireShark, I was able to see that the packets were being dropped by the receiving computer. Switching to a wired connection solved the problem (of course it took two weeks after the show was over to figure this out).

After trying more variations, this also seems specific to OS X 10.9 being the operating system on the receiving computer. Because this is an intermittent problem, its hard to prove 100%, but the dropped packets do not appear to happen on OS X 10.8 or 10.10. But I also experienced dropped OSC packets going from LXConsole to QLab also running on 10.9.

Updating the router's firmware and turning of all automatic update processes did not seem to make a difference. There are other WiFi routers around and its possible to consider interference. However, setting to router to a different, unused channel did not help.

This is probably not relevant to the problem that started this thread because that appears to have been a MIDI issue that would be unrelated to any network connection. But its worth mentioning just in case.
nizer

data loss

Post by nizer »

that seems very possible as that has never happened before.
Johan Söderberg wrote:That TED talk sounds like a nightmare.

Could it be that the audience disturbed with all their smartphones?

Ive experienced something similar but less fatal as I held a conference. Everyone in the audience participated in an online music-quiz over their smartphones. That worked OK but my connection with the iPad was lost from time to time. I figured the hundreds of iPhones in that one same wifi net might have had something to do with it.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com