Housekeeper - and other modes

LXConsole support and feedback
Barnens Scen

Housekeeper - and other modes

Post by Barnens Scen »

The LxConsole software has undergone a fantastic development and I still think it's the best choice for anyone who wants to run lights from a simple laptop/iPad/iPhone.

It was already when Admin told me about it, and its been ever since.

But here I am, pushing the limits again... My request now is USERMODES.
---

With growing complexibility/capability the possibilities to f*** things up follow.

Based only on my own problems and excellent ability to f myself up I can see a need for different user modes, although I can't decide if I myself ought to be admin or user in that case...

But I think it's an important question.
LXConsole is now trusted to perform on many stages around the globe, every night and day.

Shouldn't there be a choice of mode at startup with request from some common and simple code to access full admin ability.

There's a pace to keep.
:-)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This sounds like a request for a future version.

I get that you want to be saved from yourself. But, I'm not sure how. Are you requesting a way to lock a file to prevent changes? Or, are you looking for protection to even access a file at all? Or, something else?

There are multiple ways that a file can be changed. So a universal lock on preventing changes will need to be designed in to all parts of the application. This may be a good idea but, its not a trivial task and would have to be started in the next update cycle. LXConsole does not autosave because of the possibility of that operation interfering with a realtime activity. But, you can revert or close a file without saving if you've made a change you can't undo.
Barnens Scen

Post by Barnens Scen »

Are you requesting a way to lock a file to prevent changes? Or, are you looking for protection to even access a file at all? Or, something else?
No I think the built in apple safety can manage that. I ve set up a computer with different user accounts and that works fine.
My guests login with no password to a user called "guest artist" and that limits them a bit to prevent them from most mistakes.

Its the preferences in LXConsole that concern me the most.
If someones wants to he/she can change things and get completely lost.
For instance the setting to "send channels" might sound like a good idea to someone but not in our house where everything is soft patched... the Ip settings etc all are worth protecting. If someone fiddles with these and then later call me for support I will have trouble to assist them over phone I guess.

Also the setup is a concern, since we use both OSC and Midi settings to remote control the standard file for the house. That file opens automatically at login or after a power break and the user also has a template file to start from if he she wants to create a new show. The template copy can be saved with the "guest artist" user account and it contains the standard patch, osc and midi settings.
I just need to keep all those different settings safe from curious and ambitious explorers.
:-)