how to use Groups for presets/focus points

LXConsole support and feedback
wbdreynolds

how to use Groups for presets/focus points

Post by wbdreynolds »

Hi
I'd like to use lxconsole for a show with a few moving lights& LEDs, but I'm struggling to figure out how to use Groups to set up presets/palettes/focus points that I can reuse during the show and can be easily updated in just one place.

I get the idea that you set up the group and then include it in the cue with shift-G, but I can't seem to set up the group correctly! Do I need to record the group in a particular way to only include certain sub channels (ie just colours or just x/y positions without intensities? I can't figure out how to mark sub channels if that's what I need to do.

Also, is there a way to set up say a single group with all fixtures eg red, then use that group to set the colour of only one fixture in a cue, and a different fixture in another cue?

I can't seem to find much documentation about this kind of use anywhere, but if i've just not found it please do point to me to the right place!
Thanks for everyone's help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Groups use channel marking to determine which channels/subchannels they control. This is true both when they are recalled on the command line and when they are included in a cue.

Channel marking is indicated by a line under the channel in the main display. There are menu commands in the Channel menu that allow you to set/unset the marks for selected channels. Channels can be selected using the command line or by clicking on them in the main display (clicking enters the numbers onto the command line).

One possible procedure to create a group to be used as a set of locations of moving lights is to create a look onstage with the lights in the desired positions. Then, record the group giving it a number that makes some kind of sense for recall. Perhaps group 101 has all the lights down right; 102 down center; 103 down left; etc. Then, switching to group display mode, go the newly recorded group and choose Channel->Unmark All. In the latest builds of LXConsole, this will ask you to choose which subchannels. If you want to recall the pan/tilt of every single light with this group then, check all BUT the pan, fine pan, tilt, fine tilt subchannels. Presumably, if you adjusted the pan and tilt of the lights prior to recording the group, those sub-channels should be marked. But, for insurance you can select Channel->Mark All and this time select only only the pan, fine pan, tilt, fine tilt subchannels.

This would be the procedure for capturing all the pan, fine pan, tilt, fine tilt subchannels for the entire rig. You can also selectively record channels into a group. In live mode, you would place the lights you wanted into position. Then, select the channels you wanted to be included in the group. After the channel numbers on the command line, press [a] and then [g]. The [a] key becomes "@" and the [g] key becomes "record group:" Then you type the group number and press [enter]. For example, to record only the first three odd channels into group 10, the complete command line would read 1+3+5@record group:10[enter]. When you record a group using only selected channels, you will be asked to choose which sub-channels to include (provided some of the selected channels have more than intensity available). You could use this technique to record only the pan, fine pan, tilt, and fine tilt of selected lights into a group that you could use later by including it in some cues. The advantage of this later technique is that it allows for rather easy updating of only the channels/subchannels of interest in an existing group. But, you should note that choosing sub-channels and @record group: are only available in the latest builds of LXConsole.

There is no way to select which channels from a group are included in a cue other than the standard marking. So, there is no way to set/mark all of your lights to "red" in a group and then have that group affect one channel in one cue and a different channel in a different cue.
wbdreynolds

Post by wbdreynolds »

that makes sense - i think the issue is that i'm trying to use v3.5.0 which is a little behind the latest build. however, i can't seem to figure out how to download the latest build!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build is the first link in the list of "Other Downloads"

You could consider the current build a release candidate for v3.6. There will be no more additions before it is released. The current build is lacking a help page for the new Sequences window. But, unless other last minute fixes are required, it will move to release status in early September.