OSC and SUB control

LXConsole support and feedback
nizer

OSC and SUB control

Post by nizer »

Trying to build a redundant system on my iPad if Qlab crashes on my mac.

How do I trigger a SUB via OSC.

I bet it is here http://lx.claudeheintzdesign.com/lxCons ... p_osc.html
, but I can't figure it out.

I use this for Cues.

/cmd.lxconsole/GO:5
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the Setup window, choose the OSC tab. Click the "detect" button. This should enable OSC input. You can also enable OSC control using File->External->OSC In.

Then, in your OSC controller, move the fader that you wish to use to control the sub. You should see the OSC address pattern appear in the field at the bottom of the Setup window. If you do not see this when you send OSC to LXConsole, you should check your network settings for OSC in the Preferences.

For TouchOSC, you might see an address pattern like /1/Fader1. Click the "+" button to add an OSC action to respond to this address pattern. Use the popup menu in the right column of the actions table to select "SUB-" and then add the sub number.

You should see something like "/1/Fader1" in the left column and "SUB-10" in the right column. The fader should now be able to control the sub.

If you are editing a TouchOSC layout and would like to configure a fader to control a sub without the need for configuring the LXConsole file in the setup window, you can do that too. What you would do is change the default OSC address pattern from TouchOSC to one of the form /cmd.lxconsole/SUB-10. LXConsole takes address patterns starting with /cmd.lxconsole/ and uses the last part as the command to execute, without the need to enter it into the setup window.

You might note that the portion of the address pattern following /cmd.lxconsole/ is exactly the same as what you enter in the setup window. You can always look at the template commands found in the popup menu in the setup window->OSC actions table as a reference for how to format the rest of the address pattern. Note that when using this method, you cannot configure a different command using the setup window as LXConsole interprets an address pattern starting with /cmd.lxconsole/ directly and does not look in the actions table.

Presumably, you can use other software to configure OSC control of a sub in LXConsole using a similar process to one of these two methods.
nizer

OSC and SUBS

Post by nizer »

So how would I make a SUB 10 On and Off

ON:

/cmd.lxconsole/SUB-10@f

OFF:

/cmd.lxconsole/SUB-10@0

that doesn't seem to work.

Great help and support as always.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

"SUB-10" is essentially the same as "sub: 10@%p", which is what you would enter on the command line to control submaster ten.

The difference is that the SUB- command happens in the background while the command line version requires the interface to update. Most times, you'd never know the difference because the update time is so small. But, if you were controlling several subs at the same time through OSC or MIDI, you might.

You can use the SUB- method with a TouchOSC toggle. However if you want one momentary button for on and another for off, you would use:

sub: 10@100
sub: 10@0

Note that the space after the colon is required.
nizer

sub automation

Post by nizer »

having great success with the OSC sub commands you gave me.

Is there a way to automate the SUB/OSC to stay ON for X seconds then auto go to OFF?

I currently do this using QLAB, but am trying to build a redundant system to use via the iPad if I loose Qlab on the Mac but LX Console is still running.

Thanks.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

You could do that with MIDIPipe or OSCulator, I am sure, neither of which have ever crashed on me =)...
Cheers,

Freddy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can trigger a sub to fade in, wait for a set time and fade out via OSC by using an effect with a single step. First, you would create an effect with the sub number as the only entry in the cue list (subs checkbox would need to be checked). You would want to override cue times with the up time being how long you want to take to fade the sub up and the follow time for how long you want it to stay up plus the fade up time. Then in options, you would want to be sure the effect did not loop and cleared when it stopped. Finally, the master fade out time would be the duration for the sub fading down after it had been on. For example assume you want the sub to fade in for 2 seconds, stay on for 10 seconds, and fade out in 3 seconds. The timing tab would have override cue times checked and 2 in the up field and 12 in the follow field. The master timing would have 0 in the in field and 3 in the out field.

After the effect is setup and named, you'd just need to start it using OSC. The action would be EFXstart:<name>. If the effect is named mysub, the OSC address pattern could be /cmd.lxconsole/EFXstart:mysub.
nizer

OSC and Subs

Post by nizer »

I think I got it. Where is the "(subs checkbox would need to be checked)".

Is that in the effects panel? I don't see it.

Thanks. This is exciting.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The ability to use subs instead of cues as steps/presets for an effect was added relatively recently. In the effects editing window, the subs checkbox is immediately below the list of cues on the left side of the window.
Johan Söderberg

Post by Johan Söderberg »

I cant find that checkbox in LXConsole Version 3.5.0 (7621A) which seems to be the latest version on the downloadpage.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There should be a link on the page:
https://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/lx/l ... nload.html
Called "LXConsole Latest Build" under the heading "Other Downloads"

Currently the latest build is for the v3.6 release candidate.