X32 as a control surface?

LXConsole support and feedback
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It will be interesting to hear how people use the X32 to control LXConsole. There's potential for real practical workflow to happen using the X32's faders to set levels in LXConsole. Unfortunately using encoder(s) or fader(s) to enter cue numbers and times is never going to be elegant. In fact, for anything more than a few simple updates, this may prove to be a time consuming pain. It may get old right about the time that "wow, I can actually do this..." wears off.

The investment in a $15 USB numeric keypad that sits next to the X32 and allows entering cue numbers and fade times is going to pay off when there's serious work to be done--especially when time gets short. Imagine entering 172.5 using four encoders and compare that to 5 key presses on that numeric keypad. Then multiply that by the number of times you'll be needing to enter cue numbers or fade times. The user buttons could still be set for access to commonly needed command keys, avoiding the need for the full Mac keyboard and providing useful direct shortcuts.
timmrogers

Post by timmrogers »

I agree that a USB keypad might be a nice addition - and certainly for someone who is experienced using a traditional light console.

Still, I'd like to continue to think about how we could make input from the X32 as efficient as possible. My hope is that - for me, at least - this can be more than an exercise to see what is possible.

One thing that would make it more likely to be useful might be some intelligent defaults for the encoders. That is, if they would begin with the current cue +1 or time = 5 or whatever is the likely next input. That would minimize the amount of dial turning that would be necessary, and might make this approach more likely to be something that could be used when time was short.