trying to create a redundant system

LXConsole support and feedback
Mattgraham

trying to create a redundant system

Post by Mattgraham »

I am trying to create a redundant system for both qlab and lx console.
My set up is as follows 2x mac minis running qlab and lx console on each machine
Feeding 2x sound cards and 2x enttec dmx pro’s
Both dmx output then feed into a dmx merger and feed the dimmers.

This works while both machines are running. However if one crashes (witch I am simulating by quitting lx console one machine)
That machines dmx is held and overrides the seconds machines dmx
I am petty sure I have got the merger set not to hold dmx but this needs some futher testing (I am back in the theatre Friday)

Is their a way to make sure the enttec box does not hold dmx if lx console quits/freezes?

Matt
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The only way to stop the USB Pro from sending DMX is to send all dimmers at zero or unplug it. If the application has crashed, then it would have to be re-started in order to reset the connection to the DMX USB Pro and send all dimmers at zero. So, unplugging in the event of a crash would be the way to implement what you are seeking.

This behavior is pretty typical of DMX interfaces. In the event of the loss of a connection, the default is usually to keep the lights that are on, at least for a period of time allowing for a control connection to be re-established. This is follows a principal of the least harm--that having the lights suddenly go out if a connection is lost is worse than having (possibly) incorrect light stay on.