LXConsole and Korg nanoKontrol

LXConsole support and feedback
admin
Site Admin

LXConsole and Korg nanoKontrol

Post by admin »

I'm posting this question and response in case anyone else has experienced connection problems with a nanoKontrol and can shed some light on a solution.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a user of lx console, with several shows in theatre. The program for me works perfect.
I recently bought a Korg nanoKontrol 2 to fire ques and to put channels under sliders, trough midi. But I can’t make it work. LX console does find the korg nanoKontrol, but i can’t do anything with it. I go to ‚view-setup-midi’, but nothing works. What I’m I doing wrong ?
Is it possible to help me with this problem ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds as though you have done the right things. With the nanoKontrol 2 there are different modes and you want to be in CC mode, not one of the DAW modes. You also want to make sure that your MIDI channel matches the nanoKontrol. On my older nanoKontrol, most controls default to channel 1. However, in scene 4, each slider/knob is mapped to a different channel, matching the number (1-9) of the slider.

All that being said, there may be an issue with a nanoKontrol and OS X 10.9 Mavericks. If you search Google for "korg nanokontrol os x 10.9 problem" you'll find some discussions.

I tested my older nanoKontrol before I replied to you, just to see. Initially LXConsole did not recognize it, even though it appeared as a connection in the preferences. I unplugged the nanoKontrol and plugged it back in and it started working. I'm not clear if this was a USB cable issue or something in the driver. I've not been able to get it to stop working again to be sure. I don't believe that this is an issue with LXConsole because it uses the operating system's MIDI connections and all of that appears to be working fine.

There is a section in the nanoKontrol's manual about troubleshooting connections. It describes how to use the Audio/MIDI Setup utility to check the nanoKontrol's connection. You can try that and see if you can determine anything. And, you can try to download and install the Korg driver for the nanoKontrol. I have not done that. But, the documentation says that makes the connection more stable.