"Marked" channels?

LXConsole support and feedback
nizer

"Marked" channels?

Post by nizer »

I keep hearing the term marked channels but am not sure what this is or means. Is marking a channel going into the advanced tab and adding a group to a cue? Just want make sure I am not missing something basic here.

Thanks.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
freadZdead

Post by freadZdead »

As stated before, I have some sort of notion, but I wouldn't mind a full explanation, as I am sometimes potentially doing too much (unmarking / marking channels in situations)...

but here goes... it might be different in different view, but in cues and group, cues, and subs displays, it might have to do with which channels are part of that entity; i.e. if a channel is set to zero in a group, but is marked (underlined), then if that group is applied, it will override this channel with a zero value. conversely, when a channel is at zero in those displays, and NOT marked/underlined, this channel will not be altered in any shape or form when the entity is recalled/applied.

in live mode, I assume it defines which channels will be included in a record situation (record cue, group, sub)... and the underlining is usually given automatically once you set a level to something. on a go, the marking is automatically taken off (or you would defy tracking ;)).

Was this about correct, Claude?

As stated before, I wouldn't mind a command line shortcut for the marking/unmarking of cues, rather than using special keys; that way, OSC could be used for these things...
Cheers,

Freddy
nizer

But.....

Post by nizer »

Very helpful info. i really appreciate it. i learned alot but...How do I mark a channel in a group?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
nizer

Duhhhh...

Post by nizer »

OK, I got it. Not sure how I missed it.

Channel Menu....MARK CHANNEL.

Would love to hear from Claude with a full explanation of Marked Channels and CUES and GROUPS.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
nizer

Marking....

Post by nizer »

So I have been playing around with this. Is it possible to mark Channels that are part of a moving light. I have a mover on Channel 400 but only want 400.4 and 400.5 to updated by the group. Can I mark just those?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marked channels have three different uses depending on context.

The first use of marked channels is (mostly) irrelevant. Probably 90%+ will stay in cue only mode and never need this function of marked channels. When you are using tracking, a channel@level that is set (marked) in a cue will track through subsequent cues until it reaches another cue where it is marked again. If you like and understand tracking then this is powerful because you can track a change through a series of cues. If you are not completely aware of the consequences of tracking, then you can easily track a channel through all your cues and cause yourself a lot of grief wondering why that light is suddenly on where you never intended it to be. Cue only mode makes much more sense from a human perspective because it goes from one discreet stage picture to another. Software like LXConsole has commands--Backtrack Hilited Channels/Forwardtrack Hilited Channels--that let you selectively have the benefits of tracking (when you want) without all the overhead thinking. In cue only mode, channels marked in cues make no difference whatsoever.

The second use of marked channels is slightly less irrelevant. That second use is that channels that are marked in live mode keep their levels regardless of other cues being run and submasters being changed. This allows you to override live the level of any marked channels and still play cues and submasters (Given two preference settings that alter the meaning of marked channels in live mode). For example, assume that a light gets hit and is now shining in the first few rows of the audience. Marking in live mode allows you to set that light at zero and despite it being recorded in cues and submasters, it will remain at zero as you continue the show. Great feature--except when creating a show and you have to remember to unmark all the live channels you just adjusted so that you can playback a cue you just recorded and see what it really looks like! The Preferences->Live Unmark Live Channels on GO option pretty much does away with the ability to override playback because using that option automatically unmarks all the channels in live mode every time you click GO. (A second option determines if marked channels will override submasters.) With "Unmark live channels on Go" selected and "Mark overrides submaster level" unselected, marking channels in live mode does not really do anything either.

The final use of marked channels is in a group. This determines what channels can be set in another cue by using/referencing the group. Unlike a submaster which is generally highest takes precedence, a group can be used to set a channel at zero--hence the need to mark which channels the group will set. Admittedly, it is unusual to use a group to set an intensity channel at zero. However, this can be vital if you want to set a color, zoom or other parameter subchannel to zero using a group. This function of marked channels does not change with any settings. And, you need to be aware of the effect that marking has on how using a group will set the level of channels. The good news is that if you adjust the level of the channels you want to use in a group in live mode, the adjusted channels will be marked if you record the live picture into a group. The bad news is that if you want to adjust only some channels in a group, you need to somehow mark the other channels that you want to include.

There's one other function that's related to the first use of marked channels in tracking mode. That is the ability to set an entire cue to block tracking. This is functionally equivalent to marking each and every channel. But it is done with a checkbox in the advanced tab of the drawer. Its fast to block tracking with this method to insure that no channels will ever track through the designated cue. And, it preserves your selective marking should you want to unblock the entire cue and restore tracking based on that marking.

So, summary of marked channels is that is you stay in cue only mode, have the preference set to unmark channels on live GO, and don't use groups, then marked channels won't affect you. If you use tracking (brave soul) then marked channels in cues are your life.

The latest build 3.1.5 (6525A) adds two OSC messages to control tracking "cmd.lxconsole/mark" and "cmd.lxconsole/unmark" that will mark and unmark selected channels.

The latest build 3.1.5 (6525A) also adds a new form of the "cmd.lxconsole/..." address, "cmd1.lxconsole/..." this form requires that the first parameter in the OSC message is equal to 1.0 for the command to be executed. This is the same requirement as the "/key.lxconsole/_" message. This is designed for TouchOSC type controls where a button sends a message with a 1.0 parameter when it is pressed and another message with a 0.0 parameter when it is released. LXConsole only responds to the press, not the release, of the button with "/key.lxconsole/_" and the new "cmd1.lxconsole/..." messages.

Finally, the latest build 3.1.5 (6525A) adds outgoing OSC messages for the master and manual faders. These messages have the addresses "/cmd.lxconsole/master@%p" and "/cmd.lxconsole/manual@%p" and a 0.0-1.0 parameter reflecting the level of the slider. These outgoing messages are enabled with the "send sub change" preference in the OSC out tab.
elke74

live subs

Post by elke74 »

Hi,
I want the flexibility to use live subs during a performance but it seems that whatever I add live is only released if the level of the next cue is higher than that of the sub I just added live.
for example: cue 1 has channel 1>4@40%.
sub 1 is channels 1>4@100%.
during cue 1, i lift the levels to 60%.
when cue 2 has levels 1>4@70%, those levels will go up.
but when cue 2 has levels 1>4@50%, they will stay at 60%, which is the live sub I added.
i've tried any combination of the tick boxes to unmark the live sub levels in the preference panel, but i cannot get an adjusted higher sub level to be released in the next cue.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is probably a separate thread from the original about marked channels. The only relation is that when the unmark on go option not selected a channel that is marked by a change of its level in the live view, will not change when a cue is played. With unmark on go is selected (the default) channels are marked when they are changed. But the level is not held when a new cue is played. Otherwise, marks are for selecting channels to be included in groups and for controlling tracking.

Submitters are a means of control separate from cues. Levels set by subs are merged into the output independently of cues being played. That is why levels set by subs do not get overridden by the next cue.channels
If you want to control a block of channels in a way that can be temporary, you can use a group. Groups override the levels of channels that are marked in the group. They do not merge, they are the equivalent of setting a collection of levels all at the same time.