Triggering cues through MIDI

LXConsole support and feedback
admin
Site Admin

Triggering cues through MIDI

Post by admin »

Question:

I use Qlab to trigger LX console via MIDI and a GO in the preferences of LX console. I use Velocity to tell LX Console what cue to fire. The problem is, I am about to run out of Velocity numbers, as I am at 108 now.

Reply:

The MIDI action syntax simply replaces "%v" with the velocity of the triggered note. So, it is possible to have one note that triggers "GO:%v" and another note that triggers "GO:2%v". The first note is much simpler, it triggers any cue 1 to 127 that is the same number as the velocity when the note is sent. The second note will trigger cue "2_" where _ is the velocity of the note. So, for velocity 1-9, the note triggers cues 21-29. for velocity 10-99, the note triggers cues 210-299, and for velocity 100-127, the note triggers cues 2100-2127.

You have to be careful because this is a string substitution, not a mathematical one. However, using a combination of note and velocity, it is possible to trigger any cue. For example, if you had a cue 10.5, you could trigger it with a MIDI Action command of "GO:%v.5" and by sending the note with a velocity of 10. At the same time this note with a velocity of 99 would trigger cue 99.5, etc.

Of course, until you run out of notes, it is simpler to just have a given note with the action command "GO:10.5" and have that note trigger that cue with any velocity other than zero.