RUN SCRIPT ON LIVE UPDATE

LXConsole support and feedback
nizer

RUN SCRIPT ON LIVE UPDATE

Post by nizer »

I can't figure out how to get cues to update when I click on the cue list and have the cue GO.

In the previous version there was a script in the "RUN SCRIPT ON LIVE UPDATE" that let me fire the cue from the CUE LIST without having to hit the GO in the LIVE WINDOW.

Is there a script or a way to do that in the new version? It makes working on cues and checking them much easier.

Is the new QUICK MODE the equivalent in the new version.

I used to have a SCRIPT in the script menu that let me do that but it vanished after the update.

ALSO, how do I add custom scripts?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole v2 has a Live mode which replaces the send to DMX interface script. Live mode is always live (as long as the output is enabled).

Originally, LXConsole was more of a cue editor. The DMX was added as a way to import and export cues from consoles that did not support ASCII. This is where the 'send to dmx interface' script came from. From the added DMX in/out, it was not far to actually allowing a cue to fade and LXConsole had limited playback functions. But more changes were needed to make LXConsole really suitable for live use.

There are a lot of reasons that the Live mode was needed to isolate the playback. For one, if you looked at a cue while another was running live, the output would shift abruptly. This means that the quick way of looking through cues had to go away. Quite important to prevent accidents in front of an audience! But, also a useful feature at times. Just recently quick mode was added that allows you to look at cues without waiting for them to play. But, you need to use the GO button to initiate the action.

Cue, Sub and Group modes are all blind editing modes. Changes made to a cue (or group or sub) are direct--no need to record them. Changes made in Live mode affect the live output but need to be recorded to be saved as a cue.

In live mode, a the live output can be different than a recorded cue. You can, for example, adjust the level of a channel. This adjustment then overrides cue playback. To indicate that the channel is overriding the cue playback, it is marked with an underline in the display. To return the channel to responding to recorded levels, you have to unmark it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The script menu contains a list of AppleScript files that can extend the capabilities of LXConsole. AppleScripts are small programs that can automate repetitive tasks and be used to share information between applications. Mac OS X comes with Script Editor which lets you create and compile scripts.

Script files are stored in the "lx" folder inside the Library/Application Support directory for both the system and the user. When LXConsole starts up, these directories (/Library/Application Support/lx/scripts/lxconsole and ~/Library/Application Support/lx/scripts/lxconsole) are scanned for files with the ".scpt" extension. These scripts appear in the script menu and can be executed from within LXConsole. Scripts can also be run from the Script Editor or other applications.
nizer

So can I add a script to tell the GO button to go?

Post by nizer »

Can I add a AppleScript to the scripts folder to tell a cue to GO when it is clicked on in the CUE list window? I run all my stuff from a remote and am not at the computer during a show. The old function of SEND to DMX was helpful to quickly confirm cues.

I do like the live mode. How to I access the "QUICK MODE"?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
nizer

Yikes that was scary

Post by nizer »

I wrote a applescript and put it in the scripts folder

tell application "LXConsole"
tell the front document to GO
end tell

once I enable it and click the RUN SCRIPT ON UPDATE it ran in a loop.

Any way to use the old script. What was it?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The old send to dmx interface script command is no longer a part of LXConsole. Any script that is run on an update that changes the output will cause a recursive loop. So the command was removed.

The latest build v2.0.12 modifies the behavior in Quick Mode so that it is possible to go directly to cues by clicking on them in the Cue Sheet.

The normal behavior of the command line in Live display mode is that the cue command selects the next cue to be run by the Go button. In Quick Mode the cue is selected directly.

These modifications mimic some of the advantages of the older direct sending to the output. The old design (see previous post on the history) presented distinct disadvantages in a live performance context. So hopefully the clear mode change --Quick or not-- helps prevent unexpected surprises.
nizer

Quick Mode?

Post by nizer »

How do I get into QUICK MODE?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Quick Mode is a menu command for the Live Controls Window
nizer

Quick Mode Menu?

Post by nizer »

Is Quick Mode the GO button in the Live Control Window? I don't see a "Quick Mode menu command in the Live Controls Window"

Sorry to be so dense.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Quick Mode is in the View menu. It is only available when the Live window is the front window because it changes the behavior of the Go button.

In quick mode, the go button steps through cues ignoring their fade times and follows.

The following quick mode changes were added in 2.0.12:

When you are in the Live display of the main window, quick mode changes the behavior of the "cue:" command line. Normally, a "cue:" command selects the next cue that will be played using the go button. In quick mode, a "cue:" command jumps to the cue ignoring the fade time.

Also, when you are in the Live display of the main window, quick mode allows you to click on cues in the Cue Sheet to jump to them in the live output. (Normally, clicking on a cue in the cue sheet window selects it as the next cue that will be played by the go button.)
nizer

Missing quickmode.

Post by nizer »

I have version 2.0.9 and although my update check tells me I have latest version I bet I need to get 2.0.12

I submitted a download request. Will I get build 2.0.12?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The upgrade check only tells you when there is a new "release" version.

The latest build version often has added features but less testing than the release version.

Quick mode is still in the latest build stage.
nizer

Problem solved.

Post by nizer »

That was the reason I couldn't see the QUICK MODE button. In the future can I download new versions using the same link or do I need to contact you via the form.

I can't wait to go use this tonight. Thanks for the great support.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com