Fade to zero...

LXConsole support and feedback
Johan Söderberg

Fade to zero...

Post by Johan Söderberg »

I just got a call from France and they are having trouble now 5 minutes before the performance. Since I´m not in place I may describe the problem incorrectly but anyway, tihis is how it was described in a surprisingly calm yet a bit confusing French/English/Swedish...

When LXConsole starts fading between two cues it always sends all channels to zero before it fades the next cue up.

I wondered if they had patched all channels, and yes they had.
I asked if they had activated the "send channel mode" and they said - yes they had tried that but that somehow made it even worse.

They run an Enttec USB Pro and when they pushed the button called "Widget info" in the preferences the program jammed completely and had to be restarted.
And yes ; the chosen script was - "send to DMX Interface" and it was allowed to run during crossfade

I couldn´t figure out how to help them over the phone so they'll just have to live with that for tonight I guess.
They run an updated LXConsole version 1.3.1 which I myself never have tried to run live. Could it be that there is a problem with this version?

Or what might explain this weird behaviour?
:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem may be that "send to DMX Interface" is running during the crossfade. Disable the script.

The crossfade is sent to the dmx interface without needing to have the script run. The "send to DMX Interface" script is only useful to have changes that are made when editing sent to the widget so that the results can be seen or for testing a setup. Even so, if the script is not allowed to run during the fade, there shouldn't be a problem. (Running a script during a fade is possible so that the levels can be sent to LXBeams and/or some other observing application.)

However, testing with an Art-Net connection does not exhibit this behavior. And, the problem with the widget info is curious. I had a bad widget. But, it always returned the info even when it would not output DMX. I sent it back to ENTTEC so they could see what went wrong. But I haven't heard if they discovered anything... I would disconnect, and restart everything. After restarting, and without running any cues or output, the widget info should return correctly. If not, then I would try re-flashing the firmware. (Unfortunately, this is easiest with a PC not a Mac.)
Last edited by admin on Sun May 30, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan Söderberg

OK I´ve sent your advice to the local technician, hopefully it solves the problem.

I'll let you know.

Thanks for now!
Johan Söderberg

Sorry to bother you again, but I see a question coming up from my colleagues on the road: - how does one disable the script to run on cue update?

I can disable the option for the script to run during a crossfade with a checkbox, but how do I tell LXConsole not to run any script at all?

There´s a menulist containing several different scripts and I can choose any one of them - but how do I choose none of them?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

On further investigation, it appears that this happens under the following conditions:

DMX Out is set to send dimmers not channels

and

Send To DMX Interface script is enabled for updates and for fades

The solution: disable the send to DMX interface script before playing cues using the "Live" window.

-________

Somehow these posts crossed paths. This part is a followup:

To Run a script on update, it is necessary to select "Run Script on Cue Update" from the File->External menu. Or, to click the script toolbar button. Running a script is not enabled by default. So, you have to either click the button or select the menu command to have the script run.

The next version of LXConsole will have a dedicated "Live" mode. The update script will be obsolete and not available. Instead, any change in the live mode will be sent to the output, either by playing a cue or editing it.

However, this will sacrifice direct editing--you will need to explicitly record any changes to a cue from live mode for it to be altered in memory.
Johan Söderberg

As expected, I got the question how to disable earlier today.

I think whats' creating confusion is maybe that it´s unclear what's the difference between "run on update" and "allow to run during fade".

see img: http://www.distingo.nu/bilder/LXForum/E ... cripts.jpg

If your native language is english I assume there is no doubt about what differs and how the latter is depending on the former.

To frogs and vikings it´s not all that clear. :roll:

AND

When I programmed the show that now is touring France we kept the ability to "run on update" active all the time. As I recall that was necessary to use the two finger scroll-move to manually control individual channels.
We used that for a manual flash in the performance and never experienced any problems with that, or anything else, after we got hold of the previous version of LXConsole.

Will the manual scrolling now work in the live window also without the "Run on update" checked?

I´m unfortunately far from any DMX-equipment right now so I can't test this myself until next week.