12 universes sACN

LXConsole support and feedback
nizer

12 universes sACN

Post by nizer »

I am going to a venue with a new ETC setup. It has 12 universes. I was planning on plugging into it via a network USB dongle and running it with LX Console in sACN. From what I under stand it looks like you have a 4 universe limit. I would set "Universe" to 1 and "Local Universe" to ALL.

I would also be running a USB MKII to run my own lights seperatly. I assume I could do that by just checking USB with no offset.

Is there a way to control all 12 universes?

How does the rest of this set up look to you?
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXConsole is limited to 4 universes. You can send any one of LXConsole's universes to a specific sACN universe. Or, you can send all 4 of LXConsole's universes to a sequence of 4 sACN universes.

If you don't have an address offset for the USB interface, it will send LXConsole's first universe, addresses 1-512.

However, if you set the sACN output to "ALL", the local first universe (the one that is going to your stuff) will also go to the first sACN universe. That's probably not what you want.

If you can identify one of the 12 universes you want to use, you can use LXConsole's second universe for those 512 addresses and set the sACN output to local universe 2 and the output universe to whatever one of the 12 you selected. This only gives you two total universes, but the addresses won't be duplicated.
nizer

12 universes sACN

Post by nizer »

so I am gonna run universes 1-4 (sharing it with my local network and not overlapping channels). So sACN Universe 1 and Local Universe to ALL.

Then control the others 8 universes with MSC.

If I understand you correctly, I could have set my sACN Universe to "6" and my local universe to ALL, then my ethernet network would control Universes 6-10

As always, thanks for the clear and detailed help.
Mark Nizer
mark@nizer.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build of LXConsole 5.9.5 improves sending a single local universe to a single net universe. Specifying universes in the preferences works more as expected.

Also, LXConsole will now only send Art-Net or sACN universes that have at least one address used.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build of LXConsole 5.9.5 (16015.1) will output up to 12 universes of sACN or Art-Net. It seems to do just fine on an old 2010 Mac Book Pro sending all 12 universes at about 40hz.