midi into lx console

LXConsole support and feedback
Poplinski

midi into lx console

Post by Poplinski »

Hi,
is there a way to input midi into lx console on a wider base via e g an apple script telling lx to convert midi notes to dmx adresses due to a defined pattern?
Basically I would like to use a midi keyboard or a midi file to play back midi notes onto dmx adresses. I know this can be defined note by note in the midi setup but for convenience it would be good to bundle this. I`ve found a little box in the midi setup where actions can be imported, would it be possible to write those as in text file and import?
Thanks for the support!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Its not clear from your message what your goal is, but yes, you can use a text editor to create a .lxmidi file and import that into your MIDI setup. You can create an action or two in the setup window and then export using the popup next to the +/- buttons in the Setup/MIDI tab. That will allow you to see how the XML is organized. Its not complicated at all. There is a note tag and an action tag. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<midi_actions>
	<midi_action>
		<note>60</note>
		<act>1@%v</act>
	</midi_action>
	<midi_action>
		<note>61</note>
		<act>2@%v</act>
	</midi_action>
	<midi_action>
		<note>62</note>
		<act>3@%v</act>
	</midi_action>
	<midi_action>
		<note>63</note>
		<act>4@%v</act>
	</midi_action>
	<midi_action>
		<note>64</note>
		<act>5@%v</act>
	</midi_action>
	<midi_action>
		<note>65</note>
		<act>6@%v</act>
	</midi_action>
</midi_actions>
The thing that is not obvious is that the numbers enclosed by <note></note> are MIDI note on triggers between 1-127. They are control changes starting at 129. SO, control change 2 is <note>130</note>. The formatting of some of the actions (between the <act></act> tags) is particular. The best way to figure this out is to create an action and export a file and look at how the action string is formed.

You should be able to copy/paste with a text editor to quickly create a series of triggers/actions like the example above. I'm not positive that's what you are after, but if that's what you are looking for, its pretty simple to do.