LXFree for Java - all download require Java 1.7??

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree Java and LXSeries software for Windows.
tom_m

LXFree for Java - all download require Java 1.7??

Post by tom_m »

Is there an issue with all of the downloads at the moment as when I try to install any of them I get a prompt telling me that I must have Java 1.7.0? The current Java is 1.8 update 161. The company policy here is no Java 1.7 you must use Java 1.8 current update or 9. This prompt is even happening on the supposed Java 9 msi.

I have Java 1.8.0 Update 161 (x86 and x64) and 9.0.4 installed
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXFree for Java uses a launcher application that searches for the appropriate JRE to use to run the LXFreeForJava.jar application. Its not uncommon for applications to have a problem finding the correct version of Java when you have more than one JRE installed. The minimum version of the JRE for the non-Java9 launcher is 1.7.0. That is why you see that message when the launcher can't find the JRE to use. It means it can't find the JRE, not that you specifically need version 1.7.0.

If you see the version 1.7.0 message after you have installed the Java 9 specific version, then it did not install correctly and you still have the 1.7/1.8 version. Open the control panel, choose "Programs and Features" and uninstall LXFree for Java. Then, re-install the Java 9 version.

If the launcher still fails to find the JRE, you can test the ability to run LXFree for Java by opening a command prompt and typing:

java -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\LXSeries4Windows\LXFreeForJava.jar"

(This assumes Windows 10 64bit installed LXFree for Java into "Program Files (x86)". It is possible it is in the regular "Program Files" folder instead. In that case, the command would be: java -jar "C:\Program Files\LXSeries4Windows\LXFreeForJava.jar")