Trying to install LXFree on Windows 10

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree Java and LXSeries software for Windows.
snailtrail

Trying to install LXFree on Windows 10

Post by snailtrail »

Hi

I'm new here and decided to try installing LXFree but came up with this error after trying to install. What do I need to do? (Windows 10 / Chrome)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I tried the download on Windows 10 to see if I could duplicate the error you received. It took a number of attempts with the Edge browser to completely download the installer file. At one point, it appeared that the file download completed. But, running the installer produced the error you saw. It turned out that the file download was not complete. This explains the error because indeed, the install file was not completely there (hence not a valid installer package)

You can verify that the file is complete and intact using the following checksums for the current InstallLXFreeForJava.msi file.

MD5 = f5f30f4aabb530e854c7bafcabc873d1

SHA1 = 6070d2a30d7b3bfcc7a6abd921afeb2678b883b8

If you don't have a checksum utility and don't want to mess around with the command line, you can simply check the file size: 16,727,552 bytes That will insure that your browser has completely downloaded the file.

The MD5 and SHA1 checksums are ways to verify that not only is the file the correct size, but it has not been altered either. You can find out more about the Microsoft command line utility for checking these checksums at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/841290
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Also, I tried downloading the file using a Mac on the same wireless network as the PC running Windows 10. The install file downloaded quickly and completely. So, it wasn't the network or hosting. It appears that it was an issue with Windows and the Edge browser that was the hangup. Perhaps the PC was downloading updates in the background or something.
snailtrail

Post by snailtrail »

Thank you. It hadn't downloaded fully for some reason. Re-downloaded it and installed successfully. Will try it out in due course.

Sam