Problem with installing on Windows 10

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree Java and LXSeries software for Windows.
hungryteapot

Problem with installing on Windows 10

Post by hungryteapot »

Hi,

I can't seem to get the latest version (1.5.8) to install on Windows 10. When I click on the msi file, a dialog box appears on the desktop very briefly, and then disappears, and that is all that happens.

Event viewer shows these two errors:

1. Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Windows® installer because of this error.

Program: Windows® installer
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0

2. Faulting application name: msiexec.exe, version: 5.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d7d4
Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d784
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x00000000000eff8a
Faulting process id: 0x5dc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d12550eb78448f
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
Report Id: 0ba08007-4d1c-43e0-992c-66382a4cab4c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Is this just a problem with windows 10 compatibility. I have version 1.52 running happily on my system, but it was installed before I upgraded to Windows 10.

Does anybody have any ideas?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It sounds as if the file did not fully download. The installer file is compatible with Windows 10. In fact, it is created on Windows 10.

The only other time that a Windows installer will do the brief window thing is if an early version of LXFree for Java is installed. Some time ago, the install was fixed so that it upgrades an existing version correctly. Prior to that, a version needed to be uninstalled prior to installing the new one. Otherwise, at times the installer would simply do nothing after briefly displaying its window.

It does not sound like the latter applies if v1.5.2 is already installed. And, from the error messages it seems more like the file was not completely downloaded.
You can check the size. The version that is available right now comes out as a little over 12mb when the installer file is downloaded.
hungryteapot

Still Not Working

Post by hungryteapot »

I have tried downloading the file multiple times, and it always is 11.8 mb. None of the downloads I've tried will install on my machine.

As an experiment, I tried installing the same file in a virtual machine running windows 7 and it worked, so that would make me think that the problem is not with the downloaded file. I guess there must be some problem with my Windows 10 installation that is stopping it installing. Am I missing out on anything by not having this latest version running?
hungryteapot

Solved

Post by hungryteapot »

Hi,

I finally solved the problem by disabling all of the services and programs that run at startup and then installing. The installer must have been conflicting with something I have running in the background. Unfortunately, I have no idea which program it is though. Thankfully, I now have a working copy of LX Free running.

Thanks for all of your help.