Importing DXF files in LXfree for Java

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree Java and LXSeries software for Windows.
JonWilliams

Importing DXF files in LXfree for Java

Post by JonWilliams »

HI there, just a quick question about importing a DFX text file in LXfree for java.

I have created the facility/set with lighting positions in a dxf txt file format scaled to 1:1/4". I am having issues getting the import to scale properly with the fixture blocks. The import is huge in scale and the fixture blocks a minuscule. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks
Jon
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please post support questions in the support area.

When importing DXF it is necessary to specify what should be used to interpret a measurement unit of the drawing i.e. is 1.0 = 1mm, 1inch, or something else. DXF drawings are not scaled but what you interpret that drawing unit to mean can change.

If you are selecting feet and the import comes out too large, try selecting inches. What happens if you select feet and the DXF is really drawn using inches is that 1" becomes 1' and the import is 12 times too big.
JonWilliams

Thanks

Post by JonWilliams »

Thanks, but i have tried every scale setting when importing and it doesn't seem to change the scale of the final import. I'm using AutoCad 2000 setting and its a text format dxf file. does that play into the way the import is effected?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does the size of the import not change at all when you use different units? Or, is it just that the result is too big or too small?

Feel free to e-mail the DXF file you are trying to import. There are indeed many variations in this file format. Which is why there are issues of some kind with almost every application that tries to exchange files with Auto-CAD. LXFree's import is limited to basic elements and is probably not affected by the AutoCAD version.