Problems exporting PDF files from lxfree java 0.27.03

Use this forum to post questions about using LXFree Java and LXSeries software for Windows.
PaulO

Problems exporting PDF files from lxfree java 0.27.03

Post by PaulO »

When I export a PDF file then try to open it using Adobe Acrobat Reader I frequently get an error and the file will not open:

"There was an error processing a page. There was a problem reading this document (135)."

When I create a simple test file and export it the file opens perfectly but once I start adding lights & adjusting the design it gets to a point where I can no longer export readable PDFs.

Is there something specific that could be causing this issue?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXFree for Java uses an open source library for PDF creation. (see http://lx.claudeheintzdesign.com/gnujpdf.html) It is not comprehensive and has also not been updated in a few years. There are a couple of modifications to the library in LXFree for Java, so it may be possible to work around whatever is giving you trouble.

Can you email the lxx file that's causing a problem to lx@claudeheintzdesign.com? Also, which operating system and version of Adobe Reader are you using?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem appears to be a space in the font name "Arial Italic" in the PDF file. There may be eventually a way around this. But it will take some investigation and possible modification of the gnuJPDF library.

The short term fix for this file is to change a color field from Arial with the Italic box checked to either Times New Roman or plain Arial (not Italic). Changing the font of one color field will change them all (with the exception of the representative one in the key which you will also need to change).

Changing the font on one field and on the "Colour" label in the key allowed the plot to be exported as a PDF that could be read by Acrobat Reader 9.0.4.

(The original PDF opened just fine on a Mac).
William Ingham

Convert to PDF symbols offset

Post by William Ingham »

I've been experiencing a similar problem but it eventually sorts itself out. However I've been experiencing a problem that when i export to PDF its sometimes been offsetting my symbols from the ground plan. In the most recent attempt it's positioned the lamps and entire plans distance over to the right cutting off the ground plan and leaving me with a bunch of floating symbols. In the past i've been able to somehow sort this out but through no process that i can put my finger on. Is this something to do with using multiple layers or is there something else that i'm not doing right?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The most likely cause of a PDF export issue, based on experience, is something to do with a font. If an exception prevents a PDF from exporting at all, it will be found in the help window's console log link. If Acrobat stops or incorrectly renders a PDF, it is more complicated to try to figure out. About the only way is to look at a copy of the file and try to trace back to an element that causes the issue to appear. In this instance, there's likely an element that is causing the coordinate space to shift somewhere in the PDF stream. Picking that out can be trial and error until the offending object is isolated.

Can you email the lxxplot file that's causing a problem to lx @ claudeheintzdesign.com? Also, which operating system and version of Adobe Reader are you using?