Lanbox and lc edit

General discussion of other lighting topics with an emphasis on software topics not covered in the support/feedback category.
Johan Söderberg

Lanbox and lc edit

Post by Johan Söderberg »

I have a personal dream that I will never be able to fulfill on my own.
That would be a lightplotting program quite like LX free or maclux that actuallysaves and sends DMX to dimmers and other equipment.
To the "LAN-box" for applecomputers there is a program called "LC Edit" one can use but I find that quite weird and strange.
To me it feels more like a "DMX output control" than a lightdesign tool. In LC edit i can make a drawing - a "stage" - not with lamps but with "DMX channels". To me that´s plain silly... There is the possibility to copy and paste symbols to make my DMX chart look like a plot but it´s still just a Dmx layout - I get no reports like the ones i can edit and use in LX free.

Why is there no program like LX Edit that puts readable and understandable symbols in a plot and make em clickable and controllable?
I dont get it! Why?

I have myself used filemaker pro to make cuelists and such for many years now and nourish a vain dream that I some day will get the time to make my cuelists send serial info to something like a lanbox. I dont know if I ever will get the time or if it actually has any chances of success but it amazes me that there is no such software available and noone, more competent than me in programming, seems to be working on it,

Why is that?

- Wonders the Swedeish guy, in a wonderful starlit Scandinavian night....
Greetings to you all from the north!
:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Try out LXConsole. It works with LXFree/LXBeams via AppleScript. But also will play DMX from your cue list with DMX/USB interface. I haven't received much feedback about LXConsole. This discussion is not for support. So perhaps there should be a specific LXConsole thread.
Johan Söderberg

LX console

Ive downloaded the LX console, it looks great!
It easily took the databases from my old LXFree plots with the built in applescript.
I have a friend with a dongle so hopefully, if he hasnt taken the thing with him on tour, Ill be able to try it on my next opening night already next wednesday!

It was fun to see that the cuelist and all looked just like the ones Ive done myself in Filemaker. Feels like its gonna work directly and relatively intuitively. Ill be back after some testing, til then I think its a good idea as you say to have a forum for support. There are some thing that differ in language from the AVAB tables I, like most Swedes, use daily.
imikanwar

Post by imikanwar »

I agree. Great app. I feel sorry for all those LDs still wasting their time with Vectorworks and Lightwright.
Check out our complete collection of IFPUG tutorials and 98-365 braindumps guide on Adobe Photoshop essentials.
Johan Söderberg

Thanks for the reminder imikanwar.
This thread was posted just five years ago.
Since then very much has changed!

But I still use LXConsole.
Now with LXBeams in an iPad and Midi + OSC controls from the iPhone or just triggered from Qlab.

Since 2008 Ive used ETCs Congo once and Avolite sapphire a few times + occassionally smaller manual consoles. Apart from that I've always used LXConsole in all my works.
Who would have guessed that five years ago :lol: