Strange selection bug

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
blacklite

Strange selection bug

Post by blacklite »

Hi Claude,

Having a very strange selection bug... when I click on certain parts of the plan the selection seems to take place at a point not near the cursor. I have a screen recording showing what's happening that I'll email to you as I don't think I can post a file here.

Running the latest build Version 5.3.4 (14028.2) on macOS Mojave (10.14).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It looks like info field selection is disabled. (Format->Disable Info Field Selection) This command exists because it is sometimes hard to select a symbol and not the instrument number or other displayed field. So, the command not only disables selecting individual info fields, but if you do click on one, you select the light that the field belongs to. (holding down the option key while clicking bypasses this mode BTW).

What I think might be happening is that you are clicking on an info field attached to the light that becomes selected. That would explain why clicking selects a light far from the cursor.

How the info fields got so far from the symbol is a different matter.

One way of fixing this is by selecting the light and using Format->Info Fields->Reset Field Locations. Or, you can reset the location of a single field by selecting the light and then control-click or right clicking the label of the field in the Inspector's Info table. This will pop up a menu with the option to reset the location of only that field.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It turns out that this is an Apple bug. The latest build: 5.3.4 (14102.1), contains a workaround.

If I had to guess, I'd say you are running 10.14 Mojave. I don't think that this bug is present in 10.13. But, I'll check tomorrow to see. It is in an Apple function that determines if a point is inside a bezier path. The result is incorrect on 10.14 and clearly so. It appears to be something to do with the diagonal lines in the symbol's path. Because the error is not present in the almost identical symbol without the lines. And is also present to a lesser degree for an ETC 19 degree Source Four symbol.