Z offset question

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
Fausto

Z offset question

Post by Fausto »

I have question regarding the Z offset for a fixture.

If in my plan I have a fixture resting on the floor located at:
X offset: 0m
Y offset: 0m
Z offset: -8.3m
(Default Height is 8.8m)

When I change the fixture (let's say in my plan I swap a moving light for a different one), the new fixture jumps back in the grid to:
X offset: 0m
Y offset: 0m
Z offset: -0.5m

Is this normal? i am using Version 5.2.0 (13407.1)

cheers,
Fausto
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, this is correct. When you set the fixture type, it contains default values for the offsets which are assumed by the individual light. In general, the defaults in the key reflect the different physical sizes of fixtures and how far they normally hang beneath a batten.

One solution that might improve on your current method would be to use an invisible position line representing the floor mounting. There is no need for it to appear on the plot. But, the invisible position can have a height that represents your desired distance above the floor.

An alternative is to make sure that the default offsets are set to be empty in the key entry properties. When the defaults for the key entry are empty, the values for the offsets for the individual light won't change if you switch it to that type of symbol. You give up the automatic setting of the offsets for fixtures hanging in the usual case, from a batten, by doing this. But, it will solve the problem you described.
Fausto

Post by Fausto »

I think I will try both options and see which one works better with my workflow.
Thanks for your help!

PS: great software LxBeams. I use it on a daily basis and still discovering great features.