irregular shapes

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
lanternz

irregular shapes

Post by lanternz »

I have been using the shapes tool in LxBeams to layout concept designs for some architectural design I am doing and I wish I could get more control over the rectangle shape. To draw irregular polygons and triangular shapes. The circle tool is much more flexible but I would like the ability to cut holes in it - to create donut like shapes or to put irregular polygon cutouts inside a circle. Alternatively is it possible to create solid shapes with the line tool and fill them with a colour. Possible?
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With LXFree 1.5.4, there are two new commands in the Format menu. These new commands and the older Convert Symbol to Graphic have been placed in a new "Convert" sub-menu. These commands allow you to assemble a path object out of other graphics and to break a path object apart into lines and curves.

Convert->Selection to Path assembles selected graphic objects into a path. The objects are added in their drawing order. When a line or curve is added and its start point is the same as the end point of the previous graphic, the two are connected.

Convert->Path to Segments breaks apart the paths of selected objects into separate lines and curves. This works with a path created using either Symbol to Graphic or Selection to Path. It also works with rectangles and ovals.

Here's an example of using Convert->Selection to Path. Choose the line tool and draw a line starting somewhere on the center line and proceeding upward at about a 30-40 degree angle. Then use the curve tool to add a curve to the end of the line going back to center. (IMPORTANT: the start of the curve has to be right at the end of the line. Using snap to grid may be a help.)

Use the arrow tool to adjust the control points of the curve to make 1/2 of a heart. Then select the line and curve at the same time and select Mirror L/R from Edit->Multiple or in the tools tab of the Inspector. This should give you two curves and two lines that form a heart. Select all four and choose Format->Convert->Selection to Path. This should give you a single heart shaped path that you can fill with red.

Also, try drawing and oval with the oval tool. Then select it and choose Format->Convert->Path to Segments. Try selecting the individual segments and moving them apart.

When these commands have been used for a while as part of LXFree, they will be incorporated into LXBeams.