My firewall is being rude

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
Johan Söderberg

My firewall is being rude

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Every time I open LXConsole Im prompted to allow it incoming networkconnections.

In Swedish it looks like this:

It also says that the settings can be changed in the firewall panel.

But to me it looks like I've done that already.
What else can I do but to simply click the option to allow LXConsole incoming trafic?

The same thing happens with LXBeams which I have set to import DMX. I always have to click a button to allow it incoming network trafic even though my settings in the firewall say it should always be accepted.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is not necessary to individually enable LXConsole to receive connections when the "Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections" (english version of setting) box is checked. LXBeams and LXConsole are both digitally signed with an Apple Developer certificate that should be accepted see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201642
Note that if you have altered the application bundle in any way, the code signature will not be valid and you will have to allow it through the firewall every time you use it.

You can check the validity of the code signature of LXConsole by copying and pasting this line into the terminal:

codesign -vvv /Applications/LXSeries\ Pro/LXConsole.app/

You can check the validity of the code signature of LXBeams by copying and pasting this line into the terminal:

codesign -vvv /Applications/LXSeries\ Pro/LXBeams.app/

(LXBeams includes a private framework and is larger so it takes longer.)

You can see the advice on this post for a similar issue that happened with iTunes. Yes, sometimes this gets out of wack even with Apple software:

http://superuser.com/questions/42776/it ... 2787#42787

There's some other advice available online about deleting cache files if you still have a problem. Try entering "OS X asks to accept incoming network connections even with signed software" into google.
Johan Söderberg

I ran the Terminal command for LXConsole and got the following result:

a sealed resource is missing or invalid
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXConsole.app/Contents/Resources/scripts/Send cues to QLab.scpt

Seems there is an applescript too many or in wrong place?
-
For LXBeams the reply got a whole lot longer:

--validated:/Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Frameworks/MMTabBarView.framework/Versions/Current/.
/Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/gobo.lxkey
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/iris.lxkey
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/activate in LXConsole.scpt
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/copyChannelToDimmer.scpt
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/Namnlös Recursive Image File Processing Droplet.app/Contents/Info.plist
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/Namnlös Recursive Image File Processing Droplet.app/Contents/MacOS/droplet
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/Namnlös Recursive Image File Processing Droplet.app/Contents/PkgInfo
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/Namnlös Recursive Image File Processing Droplet.app/Contents/Resources/description.rtfd/TXT.rtf
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/Namnlös Recursive Image File Processing Droplet.app/Contents/Resources/droplet.icns
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/Namnlös Recursive Image File Processing Droplet.app/Contents/Resources/droplet.rsrc
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/lxbeams_scripts/Namnlös Recursive Image File Processing Droplet.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/main.scpt
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/LXQuickLook.qlgenerator/Contents/Info.plist
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/LXQuickLook.qlgenerator/Contents/MacOS/LXQuickLook
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/LXQuickLook.qlgenerator/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/SketchUp Plugins/About SketchUp plugins.txt
file added: /Applications/LXSeries Pro/LXBeams.app/Contents/Resources/SketchUp Plugins/Plugins for Sketchup 8

-

There is something in LXBeams called Namnlös Recursive Image File Processing "Namnlös" is swedish meaning "No name" or "name missing". That seems wrong somehow...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

None of these files listed are included in the current version of LXBeams or LXConsole. Some of the listed files existed in these locations in previous versions of LXBeams. None of the files with names that include "Recursive Image File Processing: should have been part of LXBeams.

The code signature insures that only correct (and unaltered) files are included in the application package. Because these other files are present, the code signature is invalid. This is why the firewall objects and asks permission for the application(s) to accept network connections.

From what I read when I googled this issue, even iTunes has had improper files that got flagged by codesign. So, there may be no way to tell why this happened.

The advice in that post was to delete the offending files listed in the results from codesign. However, my advice would be to completely delete LXConsole and LXBeams and re-install. (And run codesign again to check their integrity after the install.)

By the way, the install package is also signed to prevent tampering with its contents. If the install package is on the desktop, you can check it using:

sudo spctl -a -v --type install ~/Desktop/lxseriespro.pkg

You should see something like the following:

/Users/myusername/Desktop/lxseriespro.pkg: accepted
source=Developer ID
Johan Söderberg

Yes a complete uninstall and reinstallment got it right. both Beams and Console.
-
I always keep two copies of LXConsole on this machine. One old and well tested for emergencies...
And a later version that I use daily.

Since your updates tend to work really well I noticed that I hadnt changed the old "safe version" since 2012. Maybe thats why some old stuff was found by codesign. If it scans both copies of LXConsole Its understandable if it gets confused.

But why LXBeams contained old files and also some alien files I cant guess.

I keep a copy of LXfree as well, for teaching purposes, and also that I rarely update. But I can't see how that could have affected LXBeams.
So its a bit of a mystery. But one Im glad to leave unsolved.
It works fine now and I gladly skip the analyzing of what might have been the cause.
But you might be more curious I guess.

Thanks for the excellent support.