Lxconsole feature requests.

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
Sjef

Lxconsole feature requests.

Post by Sjef »

I have been using Lxconsole for a theatre show recnetly. I came to Lxconsole because it seemed like a nice and simple lightning program wich I could trigger with OSC from Qlab.

here are some observations after two weeks intensive use of the program. Before thinking these are all negative commands I would like to note that using the program took me about ten minutes of learning, it's that easy, really like that.

All works fine but there are some annoyances for me with Lxconsole. First of all, I really started to hate the seperate screens. This makes it very hard to switch between apps when you are working on a show with two programs at the same time (Qlab and LXconsole) Qlab also used to be a seperate screen application but thank god they changed it in to a one screen app, that works a buzillion times better. I think it would be a major upgrade for Lxconsole as well. A single screen layout would be a godsend. It could be just me but I have allways disliked apps with seperate screens, it's just way too confusing when multitasking.

Second there is the Cue list and the Cue sheet wich in my opinion would work much better if they where integrated as well. It is nice to have an overview of all your cues by name, by number and timing information in one screen. Now you have to swich between screens wich is. I think the editor screen, the cuelist and the live buttons should be in one screen. I really like the Cue list features. Nice to edit timing of cues at a glance. Smae for the tracksheet. The possibilities to edit all your cues there is very nice.

A couple of small functionalities would be nice though. It would be great to have a reset button to return to the state before editing. This is very handy when focussing light in the theatre or when correcting light cues before the show.

Another handy feature would be some midi controlable faders with assignable functions such as group fader, submaster or fx fader.

Another strange behaviour in my opinion is that there is no direct visual feedback when typing into the command line. nothing appears when typing until the program recognizes one of it's own commands, this feels pretty strange.

As I sayd I'm using Lxconsole toghether with qlab and trigger my cues with a Akai LPD8 midi pad controller. This works nice because this way Qlab does have to be the active app to trigger the next cues. With LXconsole it also works nice. Now I have direct control over the houslight with a rotary know and I can control my hazer with a drumpad button. All nice. One tiny inconvenience however is that Qlab can only respond to midi program changes. Well in fact it can respod to control changes and midi note as well but then you have to hit the pads with the right velocity, otherwise nothing happens. Midi program changes do'nt have velocity so that wordk flawlesly. Lxconsole only repsonds to midi notes or to midi control changes. Luckily it is clever enough designed hta it does not repond to velocity when you don't want to. But to control both programs from the same midi controller without flipping it's functionality first it would be nice if LXconsole could aslo respond to midi program changes.

Tha't it for now. Glad to see the program is in active development. Once it becomes a one screen app I would be happy to pay for it.
Pace514

Post by Pace514 »

Do i agree!!! iI would pay to !!!
Johan Söderberg

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Agree, sounds like good suggestions, all of them.