Crash 4.2.3

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
lanternz

Crash 4.2.3

Post by lanternz »

I am having some crash issues with 4.2.3 - build 10412.1
When I try to paste or import a vectorworks plan to a new drawing I get an error that my system has run out of memory. Importing a jpeg is OK as a work around but the method I have used in the past - a simple copy and paste from the CAD plan no longer seems to work. The CAD file is about 690k and I have used much larger files in the past.
OSX 10.10.5. Macbook Pro. 16GB Ram.
Lanternz
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

I also notice that something seems to have happened to the par can beam display. The beam and field displays have slipped out of alignment, at short angular throw images the beam display is totally outside the field display.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The memory issue possibly comes from using the "Faster PDF Display" option. This option trades memory for speed. To do this, LXBeams pre-renders the image. The amount of memory this takes depends on the pixel dimensions of the image much more than its content. You could have a PDF of a single line (perhaps 1k) and if this required a big space to draw, the result could be using lots of memory with Faster PDF display. The solution in that case would be to shut off Faster PDF Display. This option is gong to increase drawing speed for PDFs with lots of detail that take more time to render. But, it may be that the memory for speed tradeoff is not in your favor with this particular file.
LXBeams uses the operating system's PDF drawing capabilities. If an image takes a long time to render when you scroll around using Preview.app, it will also take time to render in LXBeams. You can use the behavior in Preview to determine how the system will respond to rendering a particular file and then use Faster PDF Display to try to optimize usability within LXBeams.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

OK Thanks. Might have been something else and not to do with LxBeams. Tried both ways today and app is stable with no crashes. Yesterday it also crashed when I used the minus zoom button but curiously not when I used the zoom function in the view menu. Next time I will do a full restart before jumping the gun.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LXBeams uses an approximation to show rotated oval beams. This is more when the beam is either vertical or horizontal. There are some angles where it does not work so well. This becomes apparent when you look at both the field and beam angles at the same time.

This can go on the list of things that should be improved.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build of LXBeams 4.2.4 (10420.1) has an improved method of displaying axial beams.