Crash

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
lanternz

Crash

Post by lanternz »

I saw that your page lists a preview version of 4 - is that 3.9.2? I have that and have been having some crashes. Haven't quite nailed it down yet but some were to do with using the enter key while editing in the inspector. Another has been while trying to open an old and very large file (13.9MB). I will email the crash log.
Lanternz
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

I think I have found a way to crash 3.9.2. Select a light, hold the tab key down to step through the info fields. Briefly release the tab key, select another light and hold tab again. I can get it to crash regularly with this sequence of key strokes - initially found quite by accident while being lazy entering some info.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Version 3.9.x is the preview version of 4.0. The most noticeable difference is that the Inspector, Tools and Navigator are all consolidated into the main window. Reports and section views now appear in tabs like Safari.

The first of these issues was caused by a path with invalid elements. It may be that Apple changed the library so that this previously failed silently and now it causes a crash. If you google the error message, you'll see it has cropped up in a number of applications including large ones like Photoshop. The latest build 3.9.3 adds traps that test for invalid elements in paths so that they should never reach the point where attempting to draw them causes a crash. This plot would crash when it was scrolled so that the bad paths were in view or when it was saved and a preview was created (which causes the entire plot to be drawn). The open question is how the bad elements got into the plot in the first place. The only hole I could find was a slim possibility when a DXF was imported. I don't know if this is what happened. Its possible that the bad elements were in the file from previous versions of OS X where they did not cause a crash and now they do. A number of people have called this a bug that Apple should fix. However, rather than wait the new build tries to prevent the situation from getting to the point where there's a problem.

The second issue is directly related to the new combined Inspector/main window. It was never possible before to change the selection without clicking on the plot window from open for editing editing table cell in the Inspector. You don't say but I believe that in your sequence to cause the crash, you are selecting the second light using the Select Next Object command rather than the mouse. In any event, this should be fixed in v3.9.3.

Any other crashes or situations where you cannot select menu commands as expected may be due to the new design. It is complicated the number of possible sequences shifting from the Inspector to a tab and back. If you notice something, please post a description, especially if you can reproduce it as in the second example mentioned above.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

A new problem with 3.9.3. I can not edit text in areas such as the key block. I can select the text block but if I double click to edit the text I get a very brief editable text indication (blue background) before the text closes. I assume this might be new to .3 as I did not notice this happening in .2.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is fixed in v3.9.4 which is available as the latest build.

v3.9.3 has a regression from the fix of the above that causes it to be unable to edit any text fields. Since it has been available less than 24 hours, this will probably not affect many. But, if you did download 3.9.3, you'll want to change to 3.9.4.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

Document/SetUp/Margins - my drawings set to metric now list top, left and bottom margins to a very impressive 15 decimal places in centimeters. However the right margin is listed in inches - also to 15 decimal places.
Lanternz
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

Another little glitch perhaps. After duplicating an object the arrow keys do not work to adjust the position unless you deselect and select again. Is there a reason for this?
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Both these new issues should be addressed in LXBeams/LXFree 3.9.4 (9716.1) which are available as the latest builds.

Thanks for helping polish the preview before it becomes version 4.0.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build of LXFree/LXBeams fixes another issue that might have caused a crash when hitting enter after editing in the info table. This issue was actually caused by a closed document not being released in memory. The crash would have been experienced at some point after a document was closed, and one possible place, among others, is after editing.

Another issue that was fixed in today's latest build happened after a plot was opened and where it would not respond to mouse clicks until the window was deactivated (by clicking on another window) and re-activated.

Finally, today's latest build contains mproved rendering in the model window.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

v3.9.6 Build 9719.1. Document / Setup / Margins - right margin still lists "inches" in my metric version. All the other margins are Centimeters.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oops, the calculation of the units got fixed but the one label was not connected. This probably happened when the Inspector got moved into its 4.0 location. Its fixed now along with an issue where, very occasionally, the messages window would appear when a plot was opened.

And, BTW, here's a link to a simple video showing the improved rendering performance in the 4.0 model window:

http://youtu.be/55VjLGx_Sf0