Beams crash

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
lanternz

Beams crash

Post by lanternz »

I have had a few but I think this one is repeatable. Inadvertently select the text for a channel number for example. Then try to use the find function.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for taking the time to point this out. When something is repeatable, it is much easier to track down and fix. LXFree 1.1.7 fixes this bug.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

another crash brought about by clumsy fingers. select an instrument then try to get an equipment count in the reports. bye-bye beams.
Lanternz
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

Another I found the other day. Grouping an instrument with it's gobo symbol - as occurs when using using the insert gobo symbol menu item, stops beams from working.
Lanternz
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

crash on equipment count report may also be to do with an .lxx file from MacLux Pro with some old custom MLP symbols.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The crash with an imported LXX file and the symbol report is due to a division by zero error. This is now trapped so it won't crash. Having a symbol selected or not would not affect this crash, it would happen with a plot imported from MacLux Pro.

Striplights have a more advanced treatment in the LXSeries. The specific thing that caused the crash was the Sections per Fixture field was at zero because MacLux Pro does not support a this information.

To make striplights imported from MacLux Pro behave properly in LXSeries applications, you'll need to edit the key. You can do this by saving the key and opening it with LXKeyEditor. Or, you can add columns to a Symbols report and edit that way. In addition to Sections per Fixture there is Lamps per Circuit and Distance Between Lamps. (The latter are important for LXBeams to be able to show the beams of the striplight.)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have not been able to duplicate your grouping crash. Is there anything more specific you can add that might help reproduce it? Or, do you have the crash log. That may or may not help.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

It's not really a crash so much as an, at first puzzling, unresponsiveness. Add a gobo to an instrument, select the insert gobo symbol function from the format menu and the instrument will now not respond to a view beam command until it has been un-grouped.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hold down the option key and click on an object inside a group to edit it individually.

Say, for example, you have a color scroller grouped with an instrument. If you select the group and edit the channel, it will change the channel for both. If you option-click the scroller, you can edit just its channel.

Most commands are passed on to the entire group this way. Create Beams is not. In the case of a single light grouped with an accessory, this might not seem to make sense. But if you have an entire grouped position, a six par bar being a common example, then Create Beams would add beams for the entire group (unless a single object was selected by option-click).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Update: The newest LXBeams 0.9.2910 will create a beam for a light inside a selected group if the group contains only one symbol that can create a beam.

This resolves the conflict of expectations that appears in the last post by having LXBeams look at the context and deciding how to respond.

Directly selecting an object inside a group by option-clicking remains an important shortcut to being able to edit an object without ungrouping to isolate it.

In the case of a group inside a group, it is necessary to ungroup to access objects inside the nested group (but not the outer group).
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

Another consistent crash. Two versions of the same drawing for two different venues. I have a ground row arrangement of 24 single flood units. I delete the old arrangement for the next venue and then try to copy and paste the new arrangement from the current venue into the next venue. Firstly the drawing of the next venue is very slow in deleting the old arrangement. But then the app crashes when I paste the new arrangement.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I can't repeat this one. Where and how is the channel text selected? Is the find panel already visible?

Thanks.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

I have two drawings - on one I click and drag to select a position and 24 floodlights with channel and colour information. I copy that selection. Switch to the second drawing and paste the selection. Spinning beach ball for a very long time and then crash. I can successfully copy small chunks in this way, around 4 instruments at a time but it is still very slow to paste.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I was looking at an old post. I see now that the latest is about delete, copy and paste. I should probably figure out a way to archive posts or start a new thread when a new issue comes up. Otherwise, this thread is a list of problems found and solved and isn't relevant to the current software version anyway.

I have no idea particularly about this behavior. It may have to do with the specific plot and the cut and paste problem is really the result of something else. I can cut and paste many objects from one plot to another consistently with no problems.

You can send the crash info if you want. Sometimes that's a help and often not. You can send the plots and I can see if I can get the crash to happen which is a sure way of tracking it down because I can completely trace the execution (provided, of course, I can get the crash to happen for me.).
Last edited by admin on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

OK will do. Files on their way to you.
Lanternz