Pasting objects

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
Johan Söderberg

Pasting objects

Post by Johan Söderberg »

I have a plot with a bunch of squares and circles spread all around.
They are symbols for different kinds of inputs and outlets.

I just made the mistake to put a symbol for "DMX in/out" where there ought to be a symbol for "Dmx out only".

So what I then did was that I copied one of the "Dmx out only" symbols.
I then marked the symbol I wanted to replace and clicked command V for paste.
I expected the marked symbol to be replaced with the one I had copied which now was in the clipboard.

But no.
A copy was pasted in, not where I expected it, but exactly 1 meter to the right of the symbol that I had copied, far away from where I intended to put it.

My settings for duplication of objects were set to put duplicates 90 degrees off 1 meter away and I realized that the pasting was done according to that rule. With the exception, thankfully noted, that it didnt take any notice of chosen number of duplicates. Only one was pasted in no matter the setting for duplicates.

Now I wonder if its a good idea that an object instead gets pasted in where I last click or replacing whatever single object that might be marked at the moment.
To me that makes more sense, but I guess it gets a bit tricky if several objects are marked at the time i paste something in: which one should be replaced then? In that case I guess using the setting just as it is today might make sense.
:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the latest version 3.1.10 (8020B) there is a compromise solution. If you select copy and then paste, the copy is pasted with the offset specified in the Inspector as before. If you copy, then click in another location and then paste, the object(s) are pasted at the location of the click.

As insurance against a forgotten click, if the click location is not visible at the time paste is chosen, then the object will be pasted with an offset as before.