Duplicate with relative focus points

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
blacklite

Duplicate with relative focus points

Post by blacklite »

Hi Claude,

Have been drawing a lot of plans recently - as always LXBeams is quick and reliable. Wondered though if it is possible to add a bit of extra functionality when using the duplicate function. I understand it's already possible to copy a focus point and then paste it to a new fixture as a relative focus point, however, for me it would be far more useful if when duplicating a fixture the focus position of the duplicated fixtures were already set to the relative position, rather than all to the original. Hopefully that makes sense! At the moment it seems slightly counter-intuitive that you would duplicate a fixture at a certain spacing along a position, but they all have the focus position set the same as the original.

One other request would be for a quick way to reduce a text box to the minimum size for the text within it. I often end up editing text on drawings and end up having to resize all the text boxes - would be wonderful if there was a quick keyboard shortcut to do it. Perhaps even a way to lock the size of the box to the size of the text ?

Thanks so much Claude. It's a rare privilege to be able to throw ideas and comments about a wonderful piece of software directly back to the writer!

Cheers

Ben
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure I agree about the duplicate function making a copy as being counterintuitive. I might argue that a use for the function is to duplicate a system, say making a cool copy of a warm system. In which case, I don't want relative focus because the warm and cool units for each area would have the same focus. That being said, I can see why sometimes you'd want it to use relative focus instead. So, in the latest version there's a format preference that changes the behavior of duplicate to use the relative focus.

There's also a new Format->Transform->Size to Fit command for text fields.