One layer with positions but several w lights?

Use this forum for reporting bugs and requesting new features.
Johan Söderberg

One layer with positions but several w lights?

Post by Johan Söderberg »

Ive just done a festival in which one rig is supposed to carry several different lightdesigns during a weeks time.
I drew this as one single plot and thought that id make a layer for the truss to begin with and then put the different lightdesigns on top of that, each in its own layer.
BUT that didnt help much since each light needs to be in the same layer as its position, otherwise its just "lying on the floor" so to say.
So I had to make duplcates of the positions in each layer to get the lights connected to something at a given height.

The question is:
Would it be possible to connect lights to positions which are in another layer than the light itself?
I can see one big advantage with that - you dont need to copy all positions or put them in several different layers.

But I guess there might perhaps be at least one disadvantage as well:
- If you have a whole lot of positions really close to each other, as on balconys and sometimes on floor level, then its nice that you can separate them in individual layers so that you know where your lights end up when you attach it to an area of the plot which seems cluttered with hanging positions. In that case it wouldnt be very practical if all positions in all layers were active I guess.
:)
lanternz

Post by lanternz »

Or some system of sub layers that can be turned on or off. I do a lot of opera and it is very common for parts of the on stage rig to be re-focused, colour changed or repositioned at intervals but you still want it all to exist in the same set of documentation.
Lanternz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The latest build, 2.1.7 (6603) has the ability to select objects from multiple layers. Objects on the current layer are always selectable. Objects on designated layers are also selectable.

The select-ability of a layer is remembered along with its visibility in a saved view. So, you can make several layers selectable in one saved view and only the current layer selectable in another.

Lights can be assigned to a position that is not on the same layer by name. Automatic association of a light with a position when it is moved on to the position is still restricted to objects on the same layer. This is absolutely necessary because layers can be used to separate lights onto different positions when they are in close proximity.

When lights are assigned by name to a position that is not on the same layer, it is necessary to manually update the position (Format->Position->Update Lights) and/or manually assign unit numbers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Today's build (6604) improves the ability of symbols to interact with positions on another layer. Symbols will now snap to a position located on a selectable layer other than the current layer and will attach themselves to that position and cause it to re-number just as if it was located on the same layer.

This build also allows an option-click to select an info text field belonging to an object that is inside a group.